Designation of institutions and public authorities - Movable Cultural Property
Designated organizations are located in Canada and demonstrate the ability to ensure the long-term preservation of cultural property. They also make cultural property available to the public through exhibitions, programming or research.
Organizations must be officially designated by the Minister of Canadian Heritage to access the tax incentives and grant provisions under the Cultural Property Export and Import Act.
Organizations are designated for specific groups of cultural property based on, but not limited to these cultural property groups.
Who can apply
Designated organizations are:
- institutions such as museums, public art galleries, archives, and libraries; and
- public authorities such as cities, municipalities, Aboriginal governing bodies, and other government bodies that collect, preserve and present cultural property.
To be eligible for designation, applicants must be either a public authority or an institutions as defined under the Cultural Property Export and Import Act.
- Any institution that is public, charitable, located in Canada, and has been in operation for at least two years may apply for Category "A" or Category "B" designation. However, an institution that has been in operation for less than two years but at least one year may be eligible to apply for Category "B" designation.
- Applicants must also have occupied for at least one year the buildings where movable cultural property will be stored and/or exhibited.
To find out if they are eligible for designation, applicants should fill out the Self-assessment tool.
There are no deadlines for the submission of designation applications.
How to apply
To obtain a copy of the application guide, application form or facilities evaluation, please contact the Movable Cultural Property Program.
Our goal is to acknowledge receipt of applications within 15 calendar days, and once an application is deemed complete, to issue an official written decision within ten months.
Contact usDepartment of Canadian Heritage
Movable Cultural Property Program
25 Eddy Street, 9th Floor (25-9-N)
- 1-888-997-3123 (toll-free)
Agents are available to answer your questions, Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (EST).
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: