Movable Cultural Property Grants
Movable Cultural Property Grants help designated organizations acquire cultural property of outstanding significance and national importance to Canada, as outlined in the Cultural Property Export and Import Act. Designated organizations are located in Canada and demonstrate the ability to ensure the long-term preservation of cultural property.
Grants can be used to purchase cultural property:
- for which an export permit has been denied; or
- that is important to Canada’s national heritage and available for purchase outside the country.
Who can apply
Movable Cultural Property Grants are awarded to designated organizations. These organizations meet the necessary standards to preserve and make the cultural property (purchased with the assistance of a grant) publicly accessible.
Organizations that are not designated may apply for designation alongside their application for a grant.
There are no deadlines for the submission of grant or designation applications.
Applications for a grant to bid at an auction should be submitted as far in advance of the auction as possible, to allow sufficient time for the approval process. The program will make every effort to process applications submitted up to 10 days before the auction; however, applications submitted on short notice may not obtain a decision before the auction date.
How to apply
To apply for a Movable Cultural Property Grant, designated organizations must:
- review the Application Guide;
- contact the Movable Cultural Property Program to request a grant application form; and
- submit the completed grant application form to the program.
Applicants of non-designated organizations must:
- contact the Movable Cultural Property Program to request the self-assessment tool for designation applicants, an application for designation and a grant application form;
- review the Application Guide; and
- submit both an application for designation AND a grant application form to the program.
Movable Cultural Property Program
25 Eddy Street, 9th Floor (25-9-N)
Agents are available to answer your questions, Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (EST).
Guides and help
Related services and information
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: