Aboriginal Peoples' Program
The objectives of the Aboriginal Peoples’ Program (APP) are to:
- promote, revitalize and preserve Indigenous languages and cultures;
- strengthen Indigenous cultural identity; and,
- increase Indigenous participation in Canadian society.
The APP offers two funding components to eligible Indigenous organizations:
Aboriginal Languages Initiative
The Aboriginal Languages Initiative (ALI) supports the preservation and revitalization of Indigenous languages through community-based projects and activities. Expected results of the ALI program include:
- Indigenous people have access to community-based projects and activities that support the preservation and revitalization of Indigenous languages and cultures;
- Indigenous communities are assisted in their efforts to enhance languages and cultures; and
- Indigenous languages and cultures are preserved and enhanced as living cultures.
Read more about who can apply for funding through the Aboriginal Languages Initiative component of the APP.
Also, learn more on submitting a request for expression of interest for third party delivery organizations as part of the Aboriginal Language Initiative.
Northern Aboriginal Broadcasting
The Northern Aboriginal Broadcasting (NAB) component supports the production and distribution of Indigenous audio and video content.
The objectives of the NAB are:
- to support the production of culturally-relevant Indigenous programming;
- to facilitate establishment and maintenance of production facilities;
- to ensure availability of a significant amount of radio and television programming;
- to contribute to the protection and enhancement of Indigenous languages and cultures; and
- to provide venues to articulate issues of relevance to Indigenous audiences and communities.
Read more about who can apply for funding through the Northern Aboriginal Broadcasting component of the APP.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: