Aboriginal Languages Initiative – Aboriginal Peoples’ Program
The Aboriginal Languages Initiative (ALI), a component of the Aboriginal Peoples’ Program, supports the preservation and revitalization of Indigenous languages through community-based projects and activities.
Who can apply
Eligible applicants include the following not-for-profit, democratically controlled:
- Indigenous organizations incorporated under Canada not-for-profit Corporation Act or under corresponding provincial or territorial legislation;
- independent Indigenous community groups that include ad-hoc committees defined as a temporary committee set up to do a specific task and are not a permanent standing committee;
- Indigenous service delivery and voluntary organizations;
- Indigenous academic institutions;
- Indigenous cultural, educational and recreational organizations/centres;
- Indigenous youth and women’s organizations; and
- non-Indigenous organizations working in partnership with Indigenous organizations or Indigenous advisory committees in situations where incorporated Indigenous organizations or Indigenous community groups do not exist.
Eligible projects must include activities designed to achieve measurable objectives and positive community outcomes. Multi-year projects are now available. Activities must take place between July 1, 2018 and March 31, 2020. More information to be found in the application package.
Examples of eligible projects include community-based activities such as:
- recording, documenting and preserving endangered Indigenous languages;
- developing materials to increase Indigenous language use and proficiency;
- developing programs for training and certifying Indigenous language teachers and resource people in the community;
- developing systems for facilitating communications in Indigenous languages;
- promoting traditional approaches to learning, such as language camps and immersion programs; and
- developing digital tools to share information, materials and resources among Indigenous languages groups.
View the list of projects funded by the Aboriginal Languages Initiative component (input “Aboriginal Languages Initiative” in the search query).
How to apply
Applicants are required to:
- read the Application Guidelines – Aboriginal Languages Initiative; and
- contact the Aboriginal Peoples’ Program of the Department of Canadian Heritage to request an application package and to submit the required documentation.
First Nation organizations in British Columbia must apply through the First Peoples’ Cultural Council.
Aboriginal Peoples' Program
15 Eddy St., 8th Floor
Agents are available to answer your questions Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. (EST).
Guides and help
Related services and information
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: