New funding application deadline: October 1, 2023
New guidelines are in effect. Please be sure to read these guidelines when preparing your application. You can find the new guidelines in the right-hand column, under Guides and help.
A new application form is available, please contact us for a copy.
The Commemorate Canada program provides funding to initiatives that commemorate and celebrate historical figures, places, events and accomplishments of national significance.
Who can apply
Eligible funding recipients under Commemorate Canada include the following:
- Canadian not-for-profit organizations such as corporations, trusts, cooperatives or unincorporated associations
- Canadian for-profit organizations (partnerships, trusts, joint ventures, etc.) whose proposed projects are non-commercial in nature
- Canadian public education establishments
- Canadian provincial/territorial, municipal governments and their institutions
Federal departments, their institutions and portfolio agencies as well as private individuals and political parties cannot apply for funding.
Eligible projects must meet all of the following criteria:
- be conceived and take place in Canada
- relate to an anniversary of national significance
- highlight a 25th, 50th, 75th, 100th or subsequent anniversary in 25-year increments
- include an educational component
- be national in scope
- be free and accessible to the public
The following projects are not eligible for funding under Commemorate Canada:
- projects taking place abroad or that are local in scope
- commemorations of living individuals
- fairs and festivals
- major infrastructure projects
- lobbying activities
- activities designed for fundraising purposes or that generate commercial advantage or profit or that are part of the ongoing operations of the applicant
October 1, 2023
It is recommended to submit the application at least 6 months before the start of the project.
How to apply
Read the Application Guidelines in their entirety before completing your application.
Contact Commemorate Canada to request an application package.
Department of Canadian Heritage
25 Eddy St
Gatineau QC J8X 2B5
- 1-888-997-3123 (toll-free)
Agents are available to answer your questions, Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 5:30 pm (ET).
- Date modified: