DAOD 3009-1, Quality Management
Date of Issue: 2003-08-15
Application: This is a directive that applies to employees of the Department of National Defence (DND) and an order that applies to officers and non-commissioned members of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF members).
Approval Authority: This DAOD is issued under the authority of the Assistant Deputy Minister (Materiel) (ADM(Mat)).
Enquiries: Director General Materiel Systems and Supply Chain (DGMSSC)
2.1 The principles of quality management applied under the DND Quality Program provide a framework for management excellence that focuses on meeting customer needs and establishing continual improvement as an organizational objective.
2.2 This DAOD sets out guidelines to:
- promote a progressive and professional approach to quality management and the development of quality management systems;
- integrate quality management into the DND and CAF operations; and
- fully integrate quality management into the decision-making process for:
- policy development;
- program design;
- service delivery; and
- military operations.
2.3 The Materiel Acquisition and Support Desktop (MA&S Desktop) supports this approach.
Quality Management Principles
3.1 The principles of quality management shall be applied to DND and CAF projects, activities, policies, plans, and programs, as appropriate.
3.2 DND and the CAF shall:
- focus on customer requirements and strive to exceed customer expectations;
- provide leadership through unity of purpose and direction;
- involve people in the quality-management process;
- use a process approach for managing activities and related resources;
- employ a system approach for management;
- apply a factual approach to decision-making;
- make continual improvement in the performance of an organization a permanent objective; and
- form mutually beneficial supplier relationships.
Quality Management System
3.3 The system approach to quality management is based on the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 9000 series of standards, and provides a means for DND and the CAF to ensure that the quality management principles are implemented.
3.4 DND and CAF organizations and units should develop quality management systems, as appropriate, in accordance with the ISO 9000 series of standards. The series of standards contain requirements for:
- management commitment;
- planning; and
3.5 Quality management systems enable organizations to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of operations, and to focus on quality service delivery.
3.6 Specific guidance for the development and implementation of a quality management system within a government organization is contained in Canadian General Standards Board (CGSB) standard 184.1-2002, Guidelines for Implementing ISO 9000 Quality Management Systems in Public Sector Organizations. The standard outlines an eleven-step process.
4.1 The following table identifies the responsibilities in respect of quality management policy:
|The ...||is/are responsible for ...|
commanders, commanding officers and managers
DND employees and CAF members
Acts, Regulations, Central Agency Policies and Policy DAOD
- DAOD 3009-0, Quality of Materiel and Services
- Canadian General Standards Board standard 184.1-2002, Guidelines for Implementing ISO 9000 Quality Management Systems in Public Sector Organizations
- ISO 9000 series of standards
- Materiel Group Instruction (MGI) 8-2, Division of Responsibility Between DND and PWGSC for the Quality Assurance of Materiel and Services
- DAOD 3009-2, Government Quality Assurance (GQA)
- Materiel Acquisition and Support Desktop (MA&S Desktop)
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: