DAOD 5026-0, Civilian Grievances
Date of Issue: 2005-04-01
Application: This is a directive that applies to employees of the Department of National Defence (DND employees) and an order that applies to officers and non-commissioned members of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF members) who act as managers or supervisors of DND employees.
- CPAO 7.01, Adjudication Procedures
- CPAO 7.07, The Grievance Procedure
- CPAO 7.08, National Joint Council Redress Procedure
Approval Authority: This DAOD is issued under the authority of the Assistant Deputy Minister (Human Resources - Civilian) (ADM(HR-Civ)).
Enquiries: Director Labour Relations Policies and Programs (DLRPP)
2.1 Part 2 of the Public Service Labour Relations Act (PSLRA) provides the legislative authority for employees and bargaining agents to present grievances.
2.2 The DND and the CAF are committed to:
- resolving departmental and National Joint Council (NJC) grievances; and
- respecting the adjudication process.
2.3 The DND shall:
- a departmental grievance procedure for all three categories of grievances (individual, group, policy) set out in the PLSRA; and
- the authority levels within the grievance procedure;
- develop and implement guidelines:
- with respect to the departmental grievance procedure;
- outlining the departmental responsibilities in the Public Service Labour Relations Board (PSLRB) adjudication process; and
- with respect to the departmental component of the NJC grievance procedure;
- provide managers and supervisors with guidance, support and training with respect to departmental and NJC grievances.
2.4 The DND and the CAF shall:
- ensure that DND employees are well informed of the departmental grievance procedure; and
- attempt to resolve departmental and NJC grievances at the lowest level possible.
3.1 The following table identifies the authorities associated with this DAOD:
|The …||has the authority to …|
Director General Labour Relations and Compensation
Acts, Regulations, Central Agency Policies and Policy DAOD
- Public Service Labour Relations Act
- Public Service Labour Relations Board Regulations
- Adjudication, Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat
- Grievance Procedure, Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat
- Terms and Conditions of Employment Policy, Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat
- National Joint Council Bylaws
- Applicable collective agreements
- Financial Administration Act
- National Joint Council Directives
- Guidelines for Adjudication
- Guidelines for Civilian Grievances
- Alternative Dispute Resolution Program
- Date modified: