DAOD 5044-2, Notification of Family Death, Illness or Injury
Date of Issue: 2001-11-30
Date of Last Modification: 2017-10-27
Application: This DAOD is a directive that applies to employees of the Department of National Defence (DND) and an order that applies to members of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF).
Supersession: CFAO 24-3, Notification of Family Death or Illness
Approval Authority: Chief of Military Personnel (CMP)
Enquiries: Director Casualty Support Management (DCSM)
2.1 DND employees and CAF members may be required to travel and serve in locations where contact may be difficult. DND and CAF assistance in contacting members or employees may be required in circumstances such as death, serious illness or injury of a family member.
3.1 Regardless of the means of communication, the following information as to the particulars of the situation should be provided:
- service number (SN), rank, name, military occupation and unit of the member or name, position, unit and location of the employee to be notified;
- name, address and relationship of the person who requested the information be passed;
- name, address and relationship of the deceased, ill or injured person;
- in the case of:
- illness or injury, available information as to diagnosis, prognosis, location of patient, name of doctor and means of contact; and
- death, available information as to date, time and cause of death, location of remains, and time, date and place of funeral; and
- any other related information if available (When all required information is not readily available the words "FURTHER INFORMATION TO FOLLOW" will be included in the message).
3.2 All personal information must be afforded an appropriate level of protection in its retention and transmission, and downgraded when appropriate.
3.3 The following table identifies the process to be followed when a request for emergency notification assistance is received.
|If the person to be notified is …||then the commanding officer (CO) must …|
|a member or employee of the unit||inform the person accordingly.|
|not a member or employee of the unit||send a message to the CO of the parent unit.|
|Note – If the notification message could be handled at the receiving unit by the person named in the message during the normal course of their duties, the message must be classified PROTECTED B and marked “EXCLUSIVE FOR COMMANDING OFFICER”.|
4.1 The following table identifies the responsibilities associated with this DAOD:
|The ...||is or are responsible for …|
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: