DAOD 5070-0, Military Employment Structure
Date of Issue: 2014-03-04
Application: This DAOD is an order that applies to officers and non-commissioned members of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF members).
Approval Authority: Chief of Military Personnel (CMP)
Enquiries: Director Personnel Generation Requirements (DPGR)
2.1 CAF strategic objectives, capability requirements, plans and programmes provide the foundation for identifying CAF work requirements and the wide variety of duties that CAF members must perform.
2.2 The military employment structure (MES):
- identifies and classifies CAF work requirements into a number of key elements, including military occupations and sub-occupations; and
- provides the framework and specifications for personnel management activities across the components of the CAF.
2.3 The CAF is committed to the establishment and maintenance of a flexible and responsive MES that enhances the capability of the CAF by enabling the development and employment of skilled and qualified CAF members to support the mission to defend Canada and Canadian interests.
2.4 The CAF must:
- establish policies, procedures and processes for the MES;
- develop, maintain and implement the MES in order to meet current and future CAF work requirements;
- establish the MES using principles that:
- recognize the primacy of operational effectiveness;
- optimize the scope of required work;
- optimize the training and development of CAF members; and
- rationalize the progression of work for employment at higher levels with a broader scope of responsibility;
- manage the MES in accordance with A-PD-055-001/AG-001, Canadian Forces Military Employment Structure, Volume 1, General; and
- conduct periodic reviews of the MES to:
- assess continuing relevance;
- determine new requirements; and
- validate compliance with functional direction.
2.5 To establish the MES, occupation authorities must provide input and advice to CMP on the definition and development of CAF work requirements and employment structures for their assigned military occupations.
2.6 The DPGR must notify the CMP of any non-compliance with this DAOD.
Consequences of Non-Compliance
3.1 Non-compliance with this DAOD may have consequences for the CAF as an institution and for CAF members as individuals. Suspected non-compliance will be investigated. The nature and severity of the consequences resulting from actual non-compliance will be commensurate with the circumstances of the non-compliance.
4.1 The following table identifies the authorities associated with this DAOD:
|The ...||has or have the authority to ...|
|Chief of the Defence Staff||
|Director General Military Personnel||
Acts, Regulations, Central Agency Policies and Policy DAOD
- QR&O article 2.10, Allocation of Non-Commissioned Member Military Occupations to Trade Groups
- DAOD 5031-2, Individual Training and Education Strategic Framework
- A-PD-055-001/AG-001, Canadian Forces Military Employment Structure, Volume 1, General (available in paper copy only)
- B-GL-005-100/FP-001, Canadian Forces Joint Publication 1.0, Military Personnel Management Doctrine
- CF Military Personnel Instructions 02/08, Branch Advisors – Roles and Responsibilities
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: