DAOD 8007-0, Notification of DND and CF Activities Within the Joint Task Force (North) Area of Responsibility
Date of Issue: 2014-06-18
Application: This DAOD is a directive that applies to employees of the Department of National Defence (DND employees) and an order that applies to officers and non-commissioned members of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF members).
Supersession: CFAO 4-10, Notification of Military Activities Conducted Within Northern Area's Geographical Area of Responsibility
Approval Authority: Chief of Military Personnel (CMP)
Enquiries: Canadian Joint Operations Command (CJOC), Headquarters (HQ), J33 Continental
- real property (biens réels)
- Land in any province other than Quebec, and land outside Canada, including mines and minerals, and buildings, structures, improvements and other fixtures on, above or below the surface of the land, and includes an interest therein. (Section 2 of the Federal Real Property and Federal Immovables Act)
3.1 For the purpose of this DAOD, the area of responsibility (AOR) of Joint Task Force (North) (JTFN) consists of the region including the Northwest Territories, Yukon and Nunavut. For maritime operations, the south-eastern AOR boundary of JTFN begins at the 60º north latitude and extends to the north along the Greenland and Canada territorial water boundary to the North Pole and in the west, from the border of the Yukon and Alaska at 141º west longitude extending to the North Pole. The maritime AOR of JTFN also includes Hudson Bay, Ungava Bay and James Bay, and all islands within those bodies of water.
3.2 DND and CAF activities conducted within the JTFN AOR require unique planning considerations. JTFN HQ, having diverse local expertise, extensive northern points of contact, and unique situational and cultural awareness, is ideally situated and staffed to enable the planning and support of the conduct of all DND and CAF activities in the JTFN AOR. Given the limited number of designated DND and CAF ranges and training areas in the North, DND and CAF activities are almost exclusively conducted outside of defence establishments. As such, the DND and the CAF must comply with any additional requirements that may apply in respect of:
- aboriginal affairs and land claim agreements;
- consultation and accommodation protocols;
- conditions and restrictions relating to land use and real property transactions; and
- environmental protection regulations.
3.3 The DND and the CAF acknowledge that the Northern tradition of respect for the land and environment is paramount, and that the principles of responsible and sustainable development form the foundation for decision making and action. Furthermore, in meeting the expectations of Canadians regarding the ability of the Government of Canada to respond to situations in the JTFN AOR, all DND and CAF activities must be conducted in accordance with applicable domestic laws and international treaties. This DAOD has been written in accordance with these principles and expectations, and is intended to enhance the provision of DND and CAF support to federal, territorial, municipal and aboriginal partners operating in the JTFN AOR and strengthen defence relationships with other nations operating in the region.
3.4 Any DND organization or CAF command, formation, unit or element that intends to conduct any activity in the JTFN AOR must inform JTFN HQ at the earliest opportunity in the planning process. The manager, commander or commanding officer of any DND or CAF organization intending to conduct activity in the JTFN AOR must:
- provide notification to JTFN HQ of the intention to conduct activities; and
- with guidance provided from JTFN HQ:
- send notification letters to aboriginal organizations to facilitate approval of the activities;
- conduct consultation and engagement as follow-up to the notification process;
- apply for permits and licenses required to access non-defence establishment real property; and
- finalize real property transactions.
Note 1 – Permits and licences may include land use permits, water licenses, national parks permits, permission to access aboriginal-owned real property and other licensing requirements.
Note 2 – Additional direction and guidance concerning DND and CAF activities in the JTFN AOR are set out in the references listed in section 6.
3.5 The Commander JTFN must notify CJOC HQ of any non-compliance with this DAOD.
3.6 The requirements set out in paragraph 3.4 do not apply to:
- operations in support of North American Aerospace Defence Command tasks; or
- search and rescue missions.
Note – The search and rescue missions excepted in subparagraph 3.6.b do not include search and rescue force generation training missions which remain subject to the requirements of this DAOD.
Consequences of Non-Compliance
4.1 Non-compliance with this DAOD may have consequences for both the DND and the CAF as institutions, and for DND employees and CAF members as individuals. Suspected non-compliance with this DAOD will be investigated. The nature and severity of the consequences resulting from actual non-compliance will be commensurate with the circumstances of the non-compliance. Consequences of non-compliance may include one or more of the following:
- the cancellation of the proposed activity;
- the withdrawal of any authority provided under this DAOD to a DND employee or CAF member;
- the application of specific consequences as set out in applicable laws, codes of conduct, and DND and CAF policies and instructions; and
- other administrative or disciplinary action, or both.
Note – In respect of the compliance of DND employees, see the Treasury Board Framework for the Management of Compliance for additional information.
5.1 The following table identifies the authorities associated with this DAOD:
|The …||has the authority to …|
Acts, Regulations, Central Agency Policies and Policy DAOD
- DAOD 2007-0, Safety
- DAOD 4003-0, Environmental Protection and Stewardship
- Canada First Defence Strategy
- CDS/DM Directive for the DND/CF in Canada's North
- B-GL-381-001/TS-000, Training Safety
- Standing Operations Order for Domestic Operations (SOODO)
- Northern Employment and Support Plan (classified document)
- LFCO 23-8, Northern Exercises
- LFWAD G3-2-022, Northern Exercise and Visit Planning Guide (available in English only)
- Aboriginal Consultation and Accommodation -Updated Guidelines for Federal Officials to Fulfill the Duty to Consult – March 2011
- Canada's Northern Strategy: Our North, Our Heritage, Our Future
- Statement on Canada's Arctic Foreign Policy – Exercising Sovereignty and Promoting Canada's Northern Strategy Abroad
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: