DAOD 8014-0, Animal Use in Research, Teaching and Testing
Date of Issue: 2012-08-17
Date of Last Modification: 2014-12-19
Application: This DAOD is a directive that applies to employees of the Department of National Defence (DND employees) and an order that applies to officers and non-commissioned members of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF members).
Supersession: NDHQ Instruction ADM(Mat) 4/89, DND Policy – Animal Use in Research and Development
Approval Authority: Assistant Deputy Minister (Science and Technology) (ADM(S&T))
Enquiries: Defence Research and Development Canada (DRDC)
animal care committee (comité de protection des animaux)
A committee that is constituted and governed according to the Canadian Council on Animal Care (CCAC) policy statement: Terms of Reference for Animal Care Committees. (Defence Terminology Bank record number 48226)
3. Policy Direction
3.1 The purpose of the DAOD 8014 series is to set out the DND and the CAF policy and instructions on the use and care of animals in research, teaching and testing activities, and to provide for the establishment of animal care committees (ACCs) to ensure ethical concerns are addressed in DND and CAF animal use protocols for research, teaching and testing.
3.2 The CCAC is the national peer review agency responsible for setting and maintaining standards for the ethical use and care of animals used in research, teaching and testing activities in Canada.
Note – For more information on the activities that constitute "research, teaching and testing" for the purposes of the DAOD 8014 series, see the Universal Application of the CCAC Programs section of the CCAC Web site.
3.3 The DND and the CAF are committed to:
- applying the policies and guidelines of the CCAC in animal use in research, teaching and testing; and
- working with the CCAC to ensure the ethical and humane treatment of all animals used in research, teaching and testing.
3.4 Heads of DND organizations and commanding officers of CAF units using animals in research, teaching or testing must take the necessary action to:
- strictly comply with all policies and guidelines of the CCAC;
- establish and maintain an ACC, or use the services of an ACC of another DND organization or CAF unit; and
- develop standard operating procedures on the care and use of animals in research, teaching or testing.
Consequences of Non-Compliance
4.1 Non-compliance with this DAOD may have consequences for both the DND and the CAF as institutions, and for DND employees and CAF members as individuals. Suspected non-compliance will be investigated. The nature and severity of the consequences resulting from actual non-compliance will be commensurate with the circumstances of the non-compliance.
Note – In respect of the compliance of DND employees, see the Treasury Board Framework for the Management of Compliance for additional information.
Authority of ADM(S&T)
5.1 The ADM(S&T) has the authority to:
- approve policies relating to animal use in research, teaching and testing;
- establish standards to ensure adherence to the research, teaching and testing policies; and
- develop and issue instructions to implement the research, teaching and testing policies; and
- assign a representative to be a member of the CCAC; and
- take appropriate action in respect of non-compliance with this DAOD.
Acts, Regulations, Central Agency Policies and Policy DAOD
- DAOD 8014-1, Management of Animal Use in Research, Teaching and Testing
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: