New Mandatory Workplace Harassment and Violence Prevention Training for Defence Team Public Servants
January 11, 2021 - Defence Stories
If at any point during this course you are in distress, please contact your Employee Assistance Program or the Member Assistance Program by calling 1-800-268-7708 or TTY 1-800-567-5803 (hearing impaired), or the nearest crisis / distress centre. If it is an emergency, call 9-1-1 or go to your local emergency department.
New, mandatory training on the prevention of harassment and violence in the workplace is now available through GCCampus for all Defence Team public servants. This training aims to educate employees, supervisors and managers on how they can help prevent harassment and violence and create a safe and respectful work environment for everyone. See below for information on how to log in or create a GCCampus account.
This training is part of the new workplace harassment and violence prevention regulations that came into force on January 1, 2021. This new legislation will help our department to better prevent, support, and respond to, those affected by harassment and violence in the workplace. All Defence Team public service employees have a responsibility to ensure they complete this training at the earliest opportunity. It will explain their rights and responsibilities and how they can ensure all members are treated with dignity and respect.
Note as well that CAF members who are supervising Public Service employees and have access to GC campus should also take the required training at their earliest convenience. Additional information for those who do not have access will be coming soon.
The mandatory training must be completed within the following timelines:
- New DND employees - within three months of joining the department
- Existing DND employees – as soon as possible but no later than 31 Dec 2021, and every three years thereafter.
This course covers:
- recognizing harassment and violence at work
- reporting and addressing harassment and violence, including family violence
- understanding the key elements of a work place harassment and violence prevention policy
- clarifying the resolution process
- reviewing the supportive measures available to employees
Supervisors and Managers
This course requires completion of W101 as a prerequisite and covers:
- clarifying roles and responsibilities
- outlining the steps of a work place assessment
- reviewing the limitations of the employer and the applicable partner
- understanding the elements of the investigation report
- recordkeeping and reporting
Click here to log in or create a new GC Campus account.
If you have any questions about the Workplace Harassment and Violence Prevention Regulations, please visit the following web page: New workplace harassment and violence prevention regulations for Defence Team public servants (Bill C-65 (42-1)), call HR Connect RH at 1-833-RHR-MDND (1-833-747-6363) or email the WHVP Centre of Expertise.
- Date modified: