Comprehensive dental care services
The Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) (through the Canadian Forces Dental Services) provides comprehensive dental care, as defined in Queen's Regulations and Orders (QR&O) 35.01, to entitled personnel. Levels of dental care range from urgent dental care to operational dental fitness care and oral health dental care. Dental Care is delivered by a complement of general practitioners and specialists in a managed setting utilizing priorities for care, selection criteria and evidence-based guidelines.
Levels of dental care
Throughout the continuum of levels of dental care a wide range of dental services are available to entitled personnel. Eligible dental services mean services listed hereafter, when rendered by a dental officer/dentist or dental specialist, or rendered by a dental hygienist/dental assistant, (or rendered by a licensed denturologist/ denturist) under the direct supervision /prescription of a dental officer/dentist or dental specialist.
Eligible dental services include:
- Diagnostic Services
- Preventive Services
- Periodontal Services
- Restorative Services - Minor
- Restorative Services - Major
- Prosthodontic Services - Minor
- Prosthodontic Services - Major
- Orthodontic Services - Minor
- Orthodontic Services - Major
- Endodontic Services
- Surgical Services
- Adjunctive General Services
- oral examination;
- oro-facial examination;
- intra and extra-oral radiographs;
- advanced diagnostic imaging;
- biopsy of oral tissue;
- tests and laboratory assessments; and
- diagnosis and treatment planning.
- oral hygiene instructions;
- dental cleaning;
- fluoride treatment;
- caries control;
- pit & fissure sealants;
- diet & nutritional counseling;
- group instruction;
- sports mouth guards; and
- other preventive services.
- non-surgical services;
- scaling & root planing;
- surgical services;
- post-surgical treatment;
- occlusal equilibration;
- occlusal appliances; and
- other periodontic services.
Restorative Services - Minor
- amalgam, resin, glass ionomer restorations;
- pin reinforcements for these restorations;
- temporary restorations; and
- polishing of restorations.
Restorative Services - Major
- crowns & inlays;
- labial veneers;
- retentive pins, posts and cores; and
- other restorative services.
Prosthodontic Services - Minor
- removable dentures (complete and partial);
- adjustments; and
- relining & rebasing
Prosthodontic Services - Major
- fixed dentures (bridges);
- repairs of fixed appliances;
- implant supported prostheses;
- oro-facial and cranial prosthetic rehabilitation; and
- other prosthetic services.
Orthodontic Services - Minor
- minor tooth movement to correct crowding/spacing in a quadrant/sextant/arch;
- positioning abutment teeth prior to prosthodontic treatment; and
- treatment that can normally be completed within 12 months at the local military dental detachment.
Orthodontic Services - Major
- treatment to correct a functional disability related to malocclusion.
- pulp capping;
- pulpotomy & pulpectomy;
- non-surgical root canal therapy;
- surgical root canal therapy; and
- other endodontic services.
- removal of cyst, tumors, and neoplasms;
- treatment of oral and maxillofacial fractures;
- surgical correction of maxillofacial deformities;
- surgical extractions;
- surgical / capsular or muscular intervention in TMD therapy;
- soft and hard tissue pre-prosthetic surgery;
- placement of osseointegrated implants; and
- other surgical services.
Adjunctive General Services
- emergency services not otherwise specified;
- management of TMD;
- forensic dental service; and
- other adjunctive services.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: