11-10 Annex A - Formation of a Cadet Corps
Cadet Administrative and Training Orders (CATOs)
1. This annex establishes the policy regarding the formation of a cadet corps in accordance with QR (Cadets) Articles 2.20, 2.21, 2.23 and 2.25.
2. The Director Cadets & Junior Canadian Rangers (D Cdts & JCR), in consultation with the national office of the applicable League and CO Regional Cadets Support Unit (RCSU), is responsible for the formation of cadet corps.
3. The following guidelines shall be used to help determine whether a cadet corps shall be formed:
- availability of support which the proposed sponsor may provide;
- availability of training facilities;
- availability of qualified personnel to conduct training; and
- interest of area youth.
4. Those persons or organizations interested in forming a cadet corps should communicate with the Division or Provincial Committee of the appropriate League.
5. A cadet corps shall not be formed unless it appears 30 or more persons will be cadets at that unit and a minimum of 4 officers of the CIC already enrolled or in the process of being enrolled who agree to administer, supervise and deliver the training program.
6. When the formation of a Cadet corps is being considered in a community where a JCR patrol is already present, the CO RCSU will liaise with the CO CRPG to ensure that the community can support both the corps and patrol.
7. The procedures to form a cadet corps are as follows:
- each youth interested in becoming a cadet shall complete a CF 1158, Application for Membership;
- the prospective cadet corps CO or local sponsor shall list all the youths who are interested in becoming cadets and who meet the requirements on a CF 723, Nominal Roll; and
- the local sponsor shall initiate form DND 1805, Application to Form a Cadet Corps and include copies of CF 574 Cadet Instructors Cadre (CIC) – Enrolment or Transform Form for candidates in the process of being enrolled, and refer it and the CF 723 to the Division or Provincial Committee of the appropriate League for their recommendations.
8. Upon review of an application, the Division or Provincial Committee shall forward it to the Area Cadet Officer (ACO) with their recommendations and signature on form DND 1805.
9. Upon review of an application, the ACO shall forward it to the CO RCSU through the Detachment Commander, if applicable, with his or her recommendations and signature on form DND 1805.
10. Upon review of an application, the CO RCSU shall forward it to D Cdts & JCR with recommendations as to:
- whether the proposed cadet corpsshould be formed and with what quota;
- the appropriate affiliated unit as required;
- the appropriate support unit or base, in liaison with the Unit or Base Commander; and
- confirmation whether the cost and support requirements will be provided from within the current regional budget.
11. Upon review of the application, D Cdts & JCR shall forward it to the national office of the appropriate League which shall:
- confirm whether it will become the supervisory sponsor of the proposed cadet corps;
- if it accepts to become supervisory sponsor, designate an official number and name to the proposed cadet corps; and
Note: a corps may not bear the name of a living person.
- return the application with their recommendations to the applicable Elemental Senior Staff Officer at D Cdts & JCR.
12. If the recommendations to form a cadet corps are accepted, D Cdts & JCR will approve then initiate the fol:
- request a Unit Identification Code (UIC) through the Director Defence Force Planning (DDFP); and
- inform the CO RCSU, the national office of the appropriate League, affiliated unit and the applicable support unit or base of the decision to form a cadet corps.
13. The CO RCSU shall notify all others concerned of D Cdts & JCR’s decision and in consultation with the local sponsor and the Division or Provincial Committee of the appropriate League shall appoint an officer of the CIC as Commanding Officer.
DND 1805 - Application to Form a Cadet Corps (You can consult this form on DWAN)
- Date modified: