13-29 Annex B Appendix 1 - Procedures in Case of Self-Destructive Thoughts/Behaviour
Cadet Administrative and Training Orders (CATOs)
Identification of a cadet, a volunteer or an adult supervisor exhibiting self-destructive thoughts/behaviour.
Risk assessment (including but not limited to)
- What is the person’s current intention? Does s/he have a plan? Does s/he have the equipment to commit suicide? Is everything planned out?
- Past behaviour? Has s/he attempted suicide before? Has s/he exhibited suicidal thoughts or behaviour before? Is there a history of suicide in his family?
- Resources? Does s/he have resources? Can s/he talk to someone about it? Is a specialist already involved?
- Ensure the person’s safety by notifying the parents (guardians) or the family.
- Make sure the person does not leave alone and is accompanied by an adult.
- Provide the person and his/her family (if appropriate) with emergency suicide hotline numbers (Annex D).
- Notify the Region / Detachment within 3 days.
- Date modified: