International security and stability operations
Canada regularly sends the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) to help other NATO allied nations remain secure and stable. CAF sea, land and air task forces are sent to form part of NATO military coalitions. Individual CAF members may also serve in NATO operations.
The Canadian Joint Operations Command (CJOC) tasks and directs most CAF operations. These include CAF missions for NATO in other countries. In these roles, the CAF may:
- Train with other allied nations;
- Demonstrate military leadership in working with other allied nations;
- Practice linking CAF military skills with other allied nations;
- Provide technical and other training support to other allied nations; and
- Help monitor international airspace and waterways for collective defence.
CAF operations within NATO:
- Operation REASSURANCE in central and eastern Europe
- Operation KOBOLD in Kosovo
- Operation IGNITION in Iceland
Learn about past security and stability operations.
Partners in security and stability
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: