Notice: Important information for employers hiring in-home caregivers from overseas

If you are submitting an LMIA application on or after June 18, 2019 with the intention of hiring a caregiver from outside of Canada for a position located outside Quebec, please be advised that Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada will not issue a work permit to the foreign national allowing them to work for you.

In most cases, the foreign national(s) that you name in your LMIA application must already be in Canada with a valid work or study permit in order to be eligible for a work permit based on an LMIA.

Employers who are uncertain as to whether or not their prospective caregiver(s) may be eligible to receive a work permit through the Temporary Foreign Worker Program are encouraged to consult the following Immigration and Refugees and Citizenship Canada's web page for details on criteria for the work permit refusal-to-process.

Consult IRCC web page for additional important information for hiring an in-home caregiver and eligibility.

Service Canada does not determine foreign national eligibility and is not able to provide guidance to employers related to this.

It is your responsibility to ensure to the extent possible that the foreign national that you intend to hire as a caregiver is not ineligible for a work permit based on the criteria that IRCC has established. As with all LMIAs, any applicable processing fees will not be refunded to you in the event that your caregiver is not issued a work permit by Immigration and Refugees and Citizenship Canada.

Caregivers from outside of Canada can be hired through IRCC's Home Child Care Provider and Home Support Worker Pilots.

Page details

Date modified: