Getting a job in a different province or territory

The first step to take if you want to work in another province or territory is to find out if your occupation is regulated. If it is, you will need a certificate or licence to work there. Each province and territory is responsible for regulating jobs. This means the standards to be met for your license may be different depending on where you want to work.

Although most occupations are regulated by provinces and territories, there are a few exceptions that are federally regulated, as listed below. If your job is federally regulated, your certificate or licence allows you to work anywhere in Canada with the exception of Canada Lands Surveyors.

We are working with provincial and territorial governments to make it easier for you to have your certificate or licence accepted. We have made a checklist that shows what you might need when applying for a certificate or licence.

Is your occupation regulated?

Enter your chosen job and province or territory. The Labour Mobility in Canada Tool will tell you:

  • if your occupation is regulated
  • who is the regulatory body
  • if there are available jobs
  • what is the pay, and more

Moving to work in a skilled trade

We work with the provinces and territories to support the Red Seal Program. This program may help you to:

  • work in a skilled trade in another province or territory
  • complete your apprenticeship training in another province or territory

Visit Support for Apprentices to learn more.

The Canadian Free Trade Agreement

The Canadian Free Trade Agreement is an agreement between the federal, provincial and territorial governments. Chapter 7 of this agreement makes it easier to work in the same regulated occupation when moving within Canada.

For more information about the Agreement and how you can move and work within Canada, visit the Forum of Labour Market Ministers – Labour Mobility website.

Federally Regulated Occupations

Occupations that are federally regulated are listed here:

Transport Canada

  • Ballast Control Operator
  • Air Pilots, Flight Engineers and Flying Instructors
  • Air Traffic Controllers and Related Occupations
  • Conductor
  • Deck Officers, Water Transport
  • Engineer Officers, Water Transport
  • Locomotive Engineer
  • Maintenance Supervisor
  • Ship’s Cook
  • Aircraft Maintenance
  • Chief Mate

Association of Canada Lands Surveyor

  • Canada Lands Surveyor

Note: The Canada Lands Surveyor occupation is federally regulated. To be a land surveyor in a province or territory you will need a separate licence and/or certificate for that province or territory.

Canadian Border Services Agency

  • Customs, Ship and Other Brokers

Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council

  • Immigration Consultant

Related information

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: