Multi-factor authentication to access My Service Canada Account
Multi-factor authentication is an enhanced security measure. It helps protect your personal information. This mandatory step helps prevent unauthorized access to your My Service Canada Account (MSCA). You will need to enter a security code to confirm your identity each time you access MSCA.
Note: This step does not apply to BC Services Card users. You will be asked to confirm your identity on the BC Services Card app.
How to register
To register for multi-factor authentication:
- sign in to MSCA or register for an account if you’re a new user
- answer the security questions that appear on the screen (returning users only, if applicable)
- choose 1 of the following security options on the multi-factor authentication page:
Text message (SMS)
Provide your cell phone number to receive a security code by text message (SMS). You can provide a local or international phone number. Enter the code you received to confirm your identity.
Provide your phone number (cell phone or landline) to receive a security code by voice message. You can provide a local or international phone number. Enter the code you received to confirm your identity.
MSCA Passcode Grid
Use the MSCA Passcode Grid option if you don’t have a telephone or a smart device. A unique Passcode Grid will be created just for you. You will need to save or print it for future use each time you sign in to MSCA. It is a table made up of numbered rows and lettered columns, with unique values in each cell. Enter the requested combination of values to confirm your identity. Your MSCA Passcode Grid will expire after 24 months.
How to change your multi-factor authentication option
You can change your multi-factor authentication security option if you:
- want to use a different multi-factor authentication option
- changed your phone number
- lost your MSCA Passcode Grid
To change your multi-factor authentication security option:
- sign in to your MSCA
- select the “Reset profile” button when you are asked to enter your multi-factor authentication security code
- answer the security questions that you have created when you registered for MSCA
- choose your new multi-factor authentication security option
If your MSCA is locked due to the security code, please contact our Registration and Authentication Help Desk at 1-866-279-5238. We can help you from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm local time, Monday to Friday (closed on civic holidays).
- Date modified: