Request a Personal Access Code

This service allows you to request a Personal Access Code (PAC). Once you have made your PAC request, we will mail it to you at the address we have on file.

You need your PAC when you register for My Service Canada Account. The PAC is your key to accessing secure online services - please keep it safe and do not share it with anyone.

To get a PAC you must:

  • provide your Social Insurance Number, first name, last name, date of birth, and your parent's family name at birth;
  • provide your postal code if you are a Canadian resident or your country of residence if you are a foreign resident; and
  • have your JavaScript enabled.

Security Warning: If you are using this service on a shared computer in a public area (i.e. public kiosk or library), do not leave the computer unattended while accessing this service. Before leaving the computer, it is also important that you fully log out of the application, clear your browser's cache and close down your browser. These precautions will ensure that no one else can access any personal information you may have entered.


  • If a registered trustee, guardian or other legal representative is taking care of your financial affairs, that person is not authorized to use this service on your behalf. Your representative can make transactions on your behalf by mail, telephone or in-person.
  • If we do not have an address on record for you, you will not be authorized to request a personal access code. Once you have updated your information with us, you will be able to request your personal access code online.
  • If our records indicate that your personal access code is disabled, you will not be authorized to request a new personal access code online. In order to access our online services you must contact us to obtain a new personal access code by telephone or in person.

Privacy Notice Statement

You may wish to print this page for future reference as it contains important information.

Your privacy and the protection of your personal information is important to us. We will confirm your identity by matching the information you submitted on the log-in page with information contained in the Social Insurance Register, our Canada Pension Plan (CPP) and/or Old Age Security (OAS) program records. This information is needed for you to access and use the service you requested.

The collection, use and disclosure of personal information for this service is authorized and regulated by the Canada Pension Plan Act , the Old Age Security Act , and the Employment Insurance Act . Your information may also be used for policy analysis, research and/or evaluation purposes, which could require that information under the control of Employment and Social Development Canada and/or Service Canada be linked. In limited instances, we can share your information without your consent, but will do so according to the Privacy Act .

The use, disclosure, and retention of your personal information for these services are described in the following Personal Information Banks: Canada Pension Plan SDC PPU 146, Canada Pension Plan SDC PPU 140, Old Age security SDC PPU 116 and Social Insurance Register SDC PPU 390.

The information you provide is protected under the Privacy Act and applicable departmental legislation. Under the Privacy Act, you have the right to access your personal information and request changes if the information is incorrect. Instructions on how you can exercise these rights are outlined in Info Source publications, a copy of which is available at any Service Canada Centres.

Questions or comments regarding the administration of the Privacy Act in our Department may be directed to the Access to Information and Privacy Coordinator at:

Access to Information and Privacy
140 Promenade du Portage
Phase IV, Level 1, Mail stop 112
Gatineau QC K1A 0J9

Tel: 819-654-6981
Fax: 819-953-0659

For more information on privacy issues and the Privacy Act in general, consult the Office of the Privacy Commissioner or call 1-800-282-1376.

For more information on benefits such as Employment Insurance, Canada Pension Plan and Old Age Securty, please contact Employment and Social Development Canada.

Page details

Date modified: