Canada Learning Bond brochure for 18 to 20 year olds

From: Employment and Social Development Canada

On this page

Alternate formats

Canada Learning Bond brochure for 18 to 20 year olds [PDF - 971 KB]

Large print, braille, MP3 (audio), e-text and DAISY formats are available on demand by ordering online or calling 1 800 O-Canada (1-800-622-6232). If you use a teletypewriter (TTY), call 1-800-926-9105.

Canada Learning Bond for 18 to 20 year olds

Not sure how to pay for the cost of education after high school? The Government of Canada can help. You could get up to $2,000 with the Canada Learning Bond for your education after high school. About two-thirds of those born in 2004 or after are eligible for at least $500. No contributions are necessary.

When to apply

You can apply for the Canada Learning Bond as soon as you turn 18. You have up until the day before you turn 21 to apply.


If you are eligible for the Canada Learning Bond, you will receive $500 deposited into your Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP), plus an additional $100 for every year you were eligible up to the age of 15.

You could receive up to $2,000 total!

You could be eligible if:

  • you were born on or after January 1, 2004
  • you are a resident of Canada
  • you have a valid Social Insurance Number (SIN)
  • your family income met the eligibility criteria for at least one year Footnote 1

Where can you use this money

You can use the money to pay for a wide variety of expenses from your full- or part-time studies in:

  • apprenticeship programs
  • collèges d'enseignement général et professionnel (CEGEPs)
  • colleges
  • trade schools
  • universities

Note: To get the Canada Learning Bond, you will need a RESP.

What do you need to do

  1. Find an RESP promoter that offers the Canada Learning Bond. Some offer options to open an RESP online, over the phone, or in-person.

    For a list of participating RESP promoters, go to

  2. Open an RESP and request the Canada Learning Bond - you will need your SIN to apply. If you qualify, all eligible Canada Learning Bond funds will be deposited in your RESP
  3. Take money out of the RESP for education-related expenses such as tuition, books and transportation

Where can you find more information

Page details

Date modified: