Registered Education Savings Plans and related benefits

The Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP) is a long-term savings plan to help people save for a child's education after high school, including trade schools, CEGEPs, colleges, universities, and apprenticeship programs. An adult can also open an RESP for themselves.

When you open an RESP, you can ask your financial institution (the promoter) to apply for benefits like the Canada Learning Bond (CLB) and the Canada Education Savings Grant (CESG). If the child is eligible, these benefits will be received in the RESP to help with the cost of the child's education. Eligible expenses can include tuition, books, tools, transportation, and rent. British Columbia and Quebec also offer provincial benefits.

Adults born in 2004 or later may also receive the CLB for themselves until the age of 21.

If you have questions about RESPs and benefits

If you have questions about the RESP, the CLB, the CESG, or provincial benefits, you should contact your RESP promoter first. Your promoter should know the specific details of your RESP and be able to help you. For more general inquiries, you can submit a form to the Canada Education Savings Program.

Resources and publications

We have additional resources and information available to RESP promoter organizations, as well as a list of all reports and publications from the Canada Education Savings Program.

Page details

Date modified: