Share your ideas: Amendments to the Metal and Diamond Mining Effluent Regulations for the Dome Mine
Current status: Closed
Consultations start on June 5, 2023 and will end on August 29, 2023.
Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC) is seeking comments from the public and Indigenous Nations on a proposed authorization under the Metal and Diamond Mining Effluent Regulations (MDMER). The authorization would allow for the disposal of mine waste in fish-frequented water bodies at the Dome Mine site. This requires an amendment to Schedule 2 of the MDMER to list these water bodies as “tailings impoundment areas”.
- Newmont (the Proponent) is proposing to complete upgrades to the existing No. 6 Tailings Management Area (TMA) at the Dome Mine site. Located in South Porcupine, it is approximately 7 kilometres east of the city of Timmins, Ontario. Improvements include dam raises, to improve stability and to facilitate future deposition and storage of tailings. Additionally, Newmont has proposed the construction of a seepage collection network, to prevent potential impacts on the natural environment.
- The regulatory amendments, if approved, would list water bodies frequented as “Tailings Impoundment Areas” for the expansion of the Dome Mine.
Focus of this consultation
ECCC is consulting on the Alternatives Assessment report and the Fish Habitat Compensation Plan.
- Alternative Assessment (PDF) (prepared by the proponent and available in English only)
- Summary of the Alternatives Assessment (PDF) (prepared by the proponent)
- Fish Habitat Compensation Plan (PDF) (prepared by the proponent and available in English only)
- Summary of the Fish Habitat Compensation Plan (PDF) (prepared by the proponent)
Who is the focus of this consultation
ECCC would like to hear from:
- Indigenous peoples
- provincial, territorial and local governments
- industry stakeholders and association members
- non-governmental organizations
- general public
- Tailings Impoundment Areas
- Metal and Diamond Mining Effluent Regulations
- Fisheries Act
- Guidelines for the assessment of alternatives for mine waste disposal
- Guide To The Regulatory Process For Listing Water Bodies Frequented By Fish In Schedule 2 Of The Metal And Diamond Mining Effluent Regulations
Environment and Climate Change Canada
Mining and Processing Division
351 boul. St-Joseph, 11th floor
Gatineau QC K1A 0H3
- Date modified: