Share your ideas: Amendments to the Metal and Diamond Mining Effluent Regulations for the Marathon Palladium Project
Current status: Closed
This consultation is open from October 30, 2023, to December 30, 2023.
Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC) is seeking comments from the public and Indigenous Nations on a proposed authorization under the Metal and Diamond Mining Effluent Regulations (MDMER). The authorization would allow for the disposal of mine waste in fish-frequented water bodies at the Marathon Palladium mine site. This requires an amendment to Schedule 2 of the MDMER to list these water bodies as “tailings impoundment areas”.
- Generation PGM Inc. (the Proponent) is proposing to construct, operate and decommission an open pit palladium mine. The mine would be located approximately 10 kilometers from the town of Marathon, Ontario
- The regulatory amendments, if approved, would list water bodies frequented by fish for mine waste disposal for the Marathon Palladium mine
Focus of this consultation
ECCC is consulting on the Fish Habitat Compensation Plan.
- Fish Habitat Compensation Plan (PDF) (prepared by the proponent and available in English only)
- Summary of the Fish Habitat Compensation Plan (PDF) (prepared by the proponent)
The alternatives assessment report is also available for your information. This report was prepared in accordance with Environment Canada’s Guidelines on the assessment of alternatives for mine waste disposal.
How to participate
Send an email with your ideas and input to the address and contact information below.
Send an email with your ideas or comments using the contact information below.
Comments must be submitted by December 30, 2023
Please read our privacy statement for this consultation.
Who is the focus of this consultation
ECCC would like to hear from:
- Indigenous Peoples
- provincial, territorial and local governments
- industry stakeholders and association members
- non-governmental organizations
- general public
- Tailings Impoundment Areas
- Metal and Diamond Mining Effluent Regulations
- Fisheries Act
- Guidelines for the assessment of alternatives for mine waste disposal
- Guide To The Regulatory Process For Listing Water Bodies Frequented By Fish In Schedule 2 Of The Metal And Diamond Mining Effluent Regulations
- Marathon Palladium Project
- Date modified: