Share and view ideas: Consultation on proposed regulations for polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) in sealant products
Current status: Closed
Opened on August 24, 2022, and will close to new input on October 22, 2022.
The goal of this consultation is to complement the Proposed regulations for coal tar-based sealant products consultation document published in December 2021 and to inform interested parties and solicit feedback on the main elements of a proposed regulation for polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) in sealant products. Specifically, the Government of Canada (GC) is seeking feedback on the Consultation Document on Proposed regulations for Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs) in pavement sealant products, which provides background and an overview of the proposed regulations for PAHs in sealant products in Canada.
Join in: How to participate
Send us an email
Email your comments to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Participate by mail
Share your ideas or comments by mail to the address listed below.
Please include “Consultation – PAH in Sealant Products” in the subject line of your email or document.
Call us by phone
Share your ideas or comments by calling us at: 819-938-4483 / 1-888-391-3426.
Read our privacy statement for this consultation.
Who is the focus of this consultation
We would like to hear from:
- Indigenous peoples
- Provincial, territorial and local governments
- Industry stakeholders and association members
- Non-governmental organizations
- General public
Key questions for discussion
To assist with the development of the proposed Regulations, Environment and Climate Change Canada is soliciting information from stakeholders. Below are questions and areas of interest for which input is being sought. Submissions should be submitted as per the instructions contained in the ‘Join in: How to participate’ section above.
- What pavement/roofing sealant products are you importing or manufacturing that contain PAHs higher than 1000 ppm? Please specify the product name and use
- What are the quantities (kilograms) of the products manufactured/imported per year
- What quantities of PAHs are contained in these products (kilograms)
- What are the concentrations of PAHs in these products
- Do you export pavement/roofing sealant products that contain PAHs higher than 1000 ppm
- Are there any essential uses of these pavement/roofing sealant products that we should consider exempting from these proposed Regulations? If so, please provide scientific rationale as to why alternatives would not be technologically or economically feasible
- If your company is manufacturing, importing and/or using these products, how long could it take to transition to pavement/roofing sealant products with PAH contents equal to or lower than 1000 ppm? Please provide any information regarding the alternatives you are considering including technical, economic, health and environmental data
- Are there any other sealant products with PAH contents higher than 1000 ppm? Are there alternative products with lower PAH levels for these products? Please specify the product name and use
- Please provide any other information that may help inform decisions on the development of these proposed Regulations
The input gathered during this process will be taken into account in the development of the proposed regulation.
- Canadian Environmental Protection Act Registry
- Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons
- Priority Substances List Assessment Report - Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs)
- Proposed regulations for coal tar-based sealant products: consultation document
- Chemical Substances
- Coal tars and their distillates
Environment and Climate Change Canada
351 St. Joseph Blvd
Gatineau QC K1A 0H3
Telephone: 819-938-4483 / 1-888-391-3426
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: