Air Quality Health Index classroom kit, grades 5 and 6, environment: chapter 21
Organize a Walk to School Day at your school
The goal of a Walk to School Day is to get as many students taking alternative kinds of transportation as possible. Walking is one way, but cycling and rollerblading are also good.
- Identify safe routes to school and discuss essential rules for walking safely.
- Include cycling and other transportation alternatives.
- Discuss your ideas with the principal, teachers, and parents.
- Designate a day - perhaps during International Walk to School Week (early October), Earth Day (April 22) or Clean Air Day (first Wednesday in June).
- Set up a friendly challenge with another school or competitions among diﬀerent classes.
- Make posters and take-home flyers. Be clear that young children must be accompanied by an adult.
- Ask parents to greet students who walk, take pictures and perhaps give out stickers or ribbons.
- Keep a tally of how many students come to school without driving, and how many students per class.
- Give out prizes to the winning class or school.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: