If you import or manufacture of off-road diesel engines or machines

Official title: If you import or manufacture off-road diesel engines or machines, legal requirements may apply to you

PDF (414 kB)

Emission standards for off-road diesel engines were introduced in 2006. Canada’s emission standards and test methods for diesel engines are the same as those of the United States (U.S.). These standards protect the environment and the health of Canadians by reducing smog-forming pollutants, which helps to improve air quality. Certification by the U.S. Environemtal Protection Agency (EPA) is the only foreign certification recognized in Canada.

Individuals and engines covered by the regulations

If you import or manufacture off-road diesel engines, you must make sure they meet the standards. These standards apply to engines whether they are on their own (loose) or already installed in machines. Off-road diesel engines are commonly used in machines for construction, forestry, mining and agriculture. Some examples of these machines include tractors, bulldozers, heavy haulers and portable generators.

Emission standards

Engines must meet the standards that were in place when they were made. The emission standards depend on the engine’s model year and power category. The current standards for engines in all power categories are Tier 4; these standards have been slowly introduced since 2012.

Main requirements for importers and manufacturers of off-road diesel engines

  • meeting emission standards
  • obtaining proof, before importation, that the emission standards are met and providing it when required
  • labelling of engines
  • reporting
  • record keeping and
  • giving notice of a defect

Transition engines

Transition engines are engines that meet previous emission standards (i.e. Interim Tier 4), instead of meeting the standards in place at the time they were made. The importation and manufacture of transition engines is allowed for set time periods (see table table1). If you want to import or manufacture a transition engine, you must do so before the end of the set time frame. Also, all loose transition engines must be installedFootnote 1 in or on a machine before the end of that timeframe.

Table 1: Interim Tier 4 transition engine timeframes
Power (kW) Applicablea model years Emission standard End of timeframe
56 ≤ kW < 75 2014+ iT4b December 31, 2020
75 ≤ kW < 130 2014+ iT4b December 31, 2020
130 ≤ kW ≤ 560 2014+ iT4b December 31, 2020
kW > 560 2015+ iT4b December 31, 2021

a Previous model years are not considered transition engines
Interim Tier 4

How to show that the standards are met

Importers of engines or machines for the purpose of sale can show that the standards are met in one of two ways:

Importers of engines or machines for their own use (i.e. not for sale) can show the standards are met by ensuring the prescribed label is affixed on the engine.

Reporting requirements of the regulations

Importation declarations

If you plan to import an offroad diesel engine, you must declare it to Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC) before importationFootnote 2. ECCC developed an importation declaration template that you can use for this purpose.

You can also declare engines through Canada Border Services Agency’s (CBSA) Single Window Initiative. This initiative combines the collection of information needed by CBSA and other government programs. You can find more information on the CBSA website.

Transition Engine Annual Report (TEAR)

If you manufacture or import transition engines, you must submit a yearly report; it is due within 90 days, after the year the engines were importedFootnote 2. The report must include all transition and non-transition engines imported and/or manufactured during the last calendar year. ECCC developed a transition engine  template that you can use for this report.

If you do not import or manufacture transition engines during a calendar year; you are not required to submit a report for that year.

Further information

For more information, please consult the Off-Road Compression-Ignition Engine Emission Regulations and the related guidance document.

More information can also be obtained by contacting Environment and Climate change Canada at 1-844-454-9017 or ec.vehicleandengineinfo.ec@canada.ca.


This document is for information purposes only; it does not replace the regulations. If there are any inconsistencies between  this document and the regulations, you must follow the regulations.

Page details

Date modified: