Notice of Defect Handbook
Table of Contents
- 1. Purpose
- 2. Applicability
- 3. Notice of Defect
- Table 1: Summary of Notice of Defect Reporting Steps by Applicable Regulations
- Appendix A - Notice of Defect (Template/guide)
- Appendix B - Initial Report (Template/guide)
- Appendix C - Follow-up Report (Template/guide)
- Appendix D - Owner Notification (Template/guide)
A reference guide for the notification of an emission-related defect
In relation to the
On-Road Vehicle and Engine Emission Regulations; Off-Road Small Spark-Ignition Engine Emission Regulations; Off-Road Compression-Ignition Engine Emission Regulations; Marine Spark-Ignition Engine, Vessel, and Off-Road Recreational Vehicle Emission Regulations; Passenger Automobile and Light Truck Greenhouse Gas Emission Regulations; and the Heavy-Duty Vehicle and Engine Greenhouse Gas Emission Regulations
Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999
This document is intended to provide guidance only. It does not in any way supersede or modify the requirements of the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999 or the On-Road Vehicle and Engine Emission Regulations, the Off-Road Compression-Ignition Engine Emission Regulations, the Off-Road Small Spark-Ignition Engine Emission Regulations, the Marine Spark-Ignition Engine, Vessel and Off-Road Recreational Vehicle Emission Regulations, the Passenger Automobile and Light Truck Greenhouse Gas Emission Regulations, or the Heavy-duty Vehicle and Engine Greenhouse Gas Emission Regulations made under that Act. In the event of an inconsistency between this document and the Act or the aforementioned Regulations, the Act and the Regulations shall prevail.
This document may be amended from time to time.
Information contained in this publication or product may be reproduced, in part or in whole, and by any means, for personal or public non-commercial purposes, without charge or further permission, unless otherwise specified.
You are asked to:
- Exercise due diligence in ensuring the accuracy of the materials reproduced;
- Indicate both the complete title of the materials reproduced, as well as the author organization; and
- Indicate that the reproduction is a copy of an official work that is published by the Government of Canada and that the reproduction has not been produced in affiliation with or with the endorsement of the Government of Canada.
Commercial reproduction and distribution is prohibited except with written permission from the Government of Canada's copyright administrator, Public Works and Government Services of Canada (PWGSC). For more information, please contact PWGSC at 613-996-6886 or by email.
Cat. No.: En14-234/2015E-PDF
© Her Majesty the Queen in Right of Canada, represented by the Minister of the Environment, 2015
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: