Proposal for the Output-Based Pricing System Regulations: chapter 7
Quantification of GHG emissions, production and thermal energy transfers
In order to assess compliance with the GHG emission limit for a facility, the regulations will require that both the facility’s GHG emissions and production be quantified. The quantification of the facility’s GHG emissions and its production will be based on the requirements set out in the Information Order. In addition, the regulations will require the quantification of the quantity of thermal energy sold and purchased.
Specified emission types
14. (1) The following emission types are those from which the greenhouse gases must to be quantified for the purpose of the regulations:
- stationary fuel combustion emissions;
- industrial process emissions;
- industrial product use emissions;
- venting emissions;
- flaring emissions;
- leakage emissions;
- on-site transportation emissions;
- waste emissions; and
- wastewater emissions.
Quantification of GHG emissions
(2) The person responsible for a covered facility must quantify the total greenhouse gases emitted by the facility during the applicable compliance period, for the emission types specified in subsection (1), in accordance with sections 6 to 8 of the Greenhouse Gas Emissions Information Production Order or, where an OBS determined in section 17 of these regulations applies to the facility, in accordance with the methods used to quantify emissions under section 17.
(3) The following emissions are excluded from the total quantity of emissions in a compliance period that are determined in accordance with paragraph 12(b) or 13(b) of the Greenhouse Gas Emissions Information Production Order:
- CO2 emissions from biomass, and the CH4 and N2O emissions from the combustion of biomass; and
- the combined total of the CO2, CH4 and N2O emissions from stationary fuel combustion emissions, provided that combined total does not exceed 0.5% of the facility’s total GHG emissions, in CO2e, from all fuels combusted.
Quantification of production
(4) The person responsible for a covered facility must quantify the facility’s production for the applicable compliance period in accordance with subsections 9(1) and (2) or 10(1) of the Greenhouse Gas Emissions Information Production Order or, where an OBS determined in section 17 applies to the facility, consistent with the methods used to quantify production under section 17.
Quantification of thermal energy transfers
(5) The person responsible for a covered facility must quantify the quantity of thermal energy sold, or of thermal energy purchased, in accordance with paragraphs 9(3)(a) or 10(2)(a) or section 17.1 of the Greenhouse Gas Emissions Information Production Order.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: