Cleaner vehicles, engines and fuels
Transportation is one of the largest sources of air pollution in Canada. The combustion of fuels to power vehicles and engines (on and off road) affects air quality, acid rain and climate change. The federal government is committed to protecting the environment and the health of Canadians by implementing measures to reduce emissions from vehicles. This includes developing regulations for vehicles and engines, promoting sustainable transportation options, ensuring efficient modes of transportation and by promoting improved land use planning and practices.
On February 19, 2001, the Minister of the Environment announced that the Government would make significant investments in new measures to accelerate action on clean air and published the Federal Agenda on Cleaner Vehicles, Engines and Fuels. The Agenda sets out a series of regulatory and non-regulatory measures being developed and implemented over 10 years, to further protect the health of Canadians and the environment by reducing emissions from vehicles, engines and fuels. For example, new regulations have been developed for both on-road and off-road vehicles and engines, with work under way to regulate emissions from recreational and marine engines.
For further information, please consult the Transportation Information Centre.
Substance(s) Managed Under this Source
- Respirable particulate matter less than or equal to 10 microns
- Fuel containing toxic substances that are dangerous goods within the meaning of section 2 of the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Act, 1992
- Volatile organic compounds that participate in atmospheric photochemical reactions
- Nitric oxide, which has the molecular formula NO
- Nitrogen dioxide, which has the molecular formula NO2
- Hexabromocyclododecane (HBCD)
Risk Management Tool(s)
Tool(s) developed to manage risks associated with releases:
- On-Road Vehicle and Engine Emission Regulations
- Sulphur in Gasoline Regulations
- Sulphur in Diesel Fuel Regulations
- Canada-wide Standard for Benzene (Phase 1 and 2)
- Off-Road Small Spark-Ignition Engine Emission Regulations
- Benzene in Gasoline Regulations
- Off-Road Compression-Ignition Engine Emission Regulations
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: