Pollution prevention federal action strategy
Federal plan at a glance: goals and actions aimed at achieving results
Within the federal government: institutionalize pollution prevention across all federal government activities.
- Incorporate pollution prevention into federal legislation
- Establish and implement green policies
- Establish a Commissioner of the Environment and Sustainable Development to advance pollution prevention in the federal government
- Integrate pollution prevention into departmental policies and programs
With other governments: foster a national pollution prevention effort.
- Review legislation, regulations and policy for opportunities to harmonize approaches to pollution prevention
- Develop practical tools, such as guidelines and codes of practice, to enable people to implement pollution prevention at an operational level
- Educate the public about pollution prevention and train relevant groups in the technical aspects of pollution prevention
With the private sector: achieve a climate in which pollution prevention becomes a major consideration in industrial activities.
- Develop innovative pollution prevention programs
- Promote pollution prevention through refocused research, development and demonstration initiatives
- Promote the adoption of sustainable production in industrial and manufacturing processes
- Implement economic instruments that will result in pollution prevention
- Help small and medium-sized enterprises improve their environmental performance
With all Canadians: provide access to the information and tools necessary to implement pollution prevention practices.
- Provide information that illustrates how pollution prevention fits into daily activities
- Create a national pollution prevention clearinghouse
- Encourage consumers to use their purchasing power to promote pollution prevention
With the international community: participate in international pollution prevention initiatives
- Stimulate a shift to pollution prevention in international organizations
- Incorporate pollution prevention into international standards
- Advance pollution prevention through international protocols and agreements
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: