Targeted regulatory review
The Government of Canada recognizes the importance of ensuring that regulatory frameworks remain effective and relevant.
Budget 2018 announced that the government would pursue a “regulatory reform agenda focused on supporting innovation and business investment. The goal is to make the Canadian regulatory system more agile, transparent and responsive, so that businesses across the country can explore and act on new opportunities, resulting in benefits for all Canadians.”
As such, Budget 2018 announced funding over three years for the Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat to coordinate targeted reviews of regulatory requirements and practices that are bottlenecks to economic growth and innovation. The first round of targeted regulatory reviews focused on three high-growth sectors:
- agri-food and aquaculture
- health and bio-sciences
- transportation and infrastructure
Targeted regulatory review: first round
Regulatory Roadmaps from the first round of targeted regulatory reviews
Targeted regulatory review: second round
The Government of Canada has initiated a second round of Targeted Regulatory Reviews. Based on the advice of the External Advisory Committee on Regulatory Competitiveness as detailed in a letter to the President of the Treasury Board of Canada, the second round of Reviews will focus on the following three areas:
- Clean technology — Exploring opportunities for the regulatory system to enhance clean technology innovation, adoption and competitiveness.
- Digitalization and technology neutrality — Aiming to advance digitalization — the development, adoption, and support of digital tools and processes — in the regulatory space and examine existing regulations to support technology neutrality.
- International standards — Examining strategic opportunities to better incorporate international standards in regulation, while ensuring Canada’s robust standards for health, safety, security, and environmental protection are maintained.
On June 29, 2019 the Government of Canada launched a public consultation on a number of initiatives intended to modernize the Canadian regulatory system, including the second round of Targeted Regulatory Reviews. You are encouraged to visit the Canada Gazette, Part 1: request for comments and share your views with us by September 5, 2019.
Regulatory Affairs Sector
90 Elgin St, 5th floor
Ottawa ON K1A 0R4
About regulatory modernization in Canada
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: