The 1983 World Commission on Environment and Development states that: "sustainable development is development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs". This definition was adopted in Canada's Federal Sustainable Development Act.
The Government of Canada would like your input on the draft Federal Sustainable Development Strategy 2016-2019. Visit the Strategy website to review the Strategy and help us make it better. Your comments are welcome throughout the consultation period which ends June 24, 2016.
In this topic...
- Federal Sustainable Development Act and Health Canada
- Questions and Answers on Sustainable Development
Health Canada's Commitment to Sustainable Development
Health Canada is committed to sustainable development by delivering on its core vision and mission:
To help Canadians maintain and improve their health and to make this country's population among the healthiest in the world as measured by longevity, lifestyle and effective use of the public health care system.
Implicit in this vision is the recognition that social, economic and environmental conditions play an important role in determining the state of human health, for both present and future generations.
Sustainable development and health are inseparable. Sustainable development cannot occur without a healthy population. A healthy population, in turn, relies on sustainable development, which includes a healthy environment, a well-functioning economy, social support networks and strong communities.
Human beings are at the centre of concern for sustainable development. They are entitled to a healthy and productive life in harmony with nature.
Principle 1: Rio Declaration on Environment and Development, 1992
- Health Canada Resources
- Planning for a Sustainable Future: Health Canada's 2011-2014 Sustainable Development Strategy - Performance Report for 2011-12
- Health Canada's Clean Air Agenda (CAA) Programming
- Planning for a Sustainable Future: Health Canada's Sustainable Development Strategy
- Health Canada's Report on Plans and Priorities
- Health Canada's Departmental Performance Report
- Health Policy Research - Reports and Publications
- Government of Canada Resources
- Commissioner of the Environment and Sustainable Development
- Federal Sustainable Development Strategy
- Federal Sustainable Development Act
- Policy Horizons Canada
- Public Works and Government Services Canada - Greening of Government
- Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency - Strategic Environmental Assessment
- International Resources
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: