Forward Regulatory Plan
From: Health Canada
Update to stakeholders and interested parties
Health Canada is deferring the delivery of its regular update to its Forward Regulatory Plan to fall 2020, to coincide with the expiry of recent new legislative authorities in the COVID-19 Emergency Response Act.
The current Forward Regulatory Plan for 2019 to 2021 continues to be available on the Department’s Acts and Regulations webpage. The Forward Regulatory Plan is a publicly available list, with descriptions, of planned or anticipated regulatory changes (regulatory initiatives) that Health Canada intends to propose or finalize within a two-year period.
Health Canada’s priority is the health and safety of all Canadians. Although a number of regulatory initiatives set out in the current plan continue to move forward, departmental efforts are focused on delivering critical services to support the Government’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic. As a result, a number of the department’s regulatory initiatives have been deferred. If you have a question about a specific initiative, please contact the departmental contact listed for the regulatory initiative that is of interest to you.
For more information on the current situation with coronavirus, visit Coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
Forward Regulatory Plan
Health Canada's Forward Regulatory Plan for 2019 to 2021:
- is a publicly available list, with descriptions, of planned or anticipated regulatory changes (regulatory initiatives) that Health Canada intends to propose or finalize within a 2-year period
- may include regulatory initiatives that are planned to come forward over a longer time frame and that are indicated as long-term
Some of the initiatives in this plan may be associated with Health Canada’s multiyear plan to review its existing regulations (stock review plan).
This Forward Regulatory Plan also includes initiatives that were identified in the Health and Biosciences Sector Regulatory Review Roadmap and the Agri-food and Aquaculture Sector Regulatory Review Roadmap. See the sectoral roadmaps for details.
Forward Regulatory Plans are intended to help Canadians, including businesses, Indigenous peoples and trading partners, plan for:
- opportunities to provide their feedback during regulatory development
- future regulatory changes
The Forward Regulatory Plan briefly describes each regulatory initiative and includes information such as:
- who may be affected by a regulatory initiative
- regulatory cooperation efforts undertaken or planned
- opportunities for public consultation
- links to related information or analysis
- Health Canada’s contact information
The Forward Regulatory Plan will be updated over time to reflect, for example:
- progress in regulatory development
- changes to Health Canada’s regulatory priorities or its operating environment
Consult Health Canada’s Acts and Regulations page for:
- a list of acts and regulations Health Canada administers
- further information on Health Canada’s implementation of government-wide regulatory management initiatives
Consult the following for links to the Cabinet Directive on Regulation and supporting policies and guidance, and for information on government-wide regulatory initiatives implemented by departments and agencies across the Government of Canada:
To learn about upcoming or ongoing consultations on proposed federal regulations, visit:
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: