Acts and Regulations
Health Canada administers many pieces of legislation and develops and enforces regulations under this legislation that have a direct impact on the health and safety of Canadians. The Department consults with the Canadian public, industry, non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and other interested parties in the development of these laws. Health Canada also prepares guidelines in order to help interpret and clarify legislation and regulations.
What are We Doing?
As a department, Health Canada is responsible for administering acts and regulations, and for implementing government-wide regulatory initiatives.
- Health Canada is responsible for administering certain federal acts and regulations.
- Access these federal acts and regulations at the following link: Health Canada list of acts and regulations.
- Health Canada publishes a public list, with descriptions, of planned or anticipated federal regulatory changes that the department intends to bring forward over a 24-month period (Forward Regulatory Plan).
- View the Forward Regulatory Plan
- Health Canada publishes timelines service standards and performance information for its services, including services for regulated parties to obtain regulatory authorization such as a permit or licence to engage in a regulated activity.
- View timeliness service standards and performance information.
- Health Canada's Policy on Providing Guidance on Regulatory Requirments:
- outlines the commitments, practices and tools that Health Canada applies when providing Canadians and businesses with information and guidance on regulatory obligations to be met
- identifies the conditions under which written responses will be provided
- View the department's Policy on Providing Guidance on Regulatory Requirements.
- The Administrative Burden Baseline initiative requires departments and agencies to:
- establish a baseline count of federal regulatory requirements that impose administrative burden on business
- annually update and report publicly on the count of baseline requirements
- View the number of administrative burden requirements in regulations administered by Health Canada at the following links:
Acts and Regulations
Planned or anticipated changes to regulations (Forward Regulatory Plan)
Timeliness Service Standards and performance information
How guidance on regulatory requirements is provided (Policy on Providing Guidance on Regulatory Requirements)
Number of administrative burden requirements in regulations (Administrative Burden Baseline initiative)
All of the government's Acts and Regulations can be found on the Justice Canada website.
Consult the following for links to the Cabinet Directive on Regulation and supporting policies and guidance, and for information on government-wide regulatory initiatives implemented by departments and agencies across the government of Canada:
To learn about upcoming or ongoing consultations on proposed federal regulations, visit
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: