Share and view ideas: Consultation on proposed biocides regulations
Current status: Closed
This consultation ran from May 7, 2022 to July 16, 2022.
Surface sanitizers and disinfectants (biocides) are regulated under separate regulations in Canada:
- disinfectants are under the Food and Drugs Act
- surface sanitizers are under the Pest Control Products Act
The purpose of this consultation was to gather feedback on a proposed new set of regulations for biocides under the Food and Drugs Act and a related guidance document for biocides.
Who was the focus of this consultation
We engaged with:
- business owners
- industry and regulatory associations
- household and workplace users of biocides
- consumer and patient safety organizations
- manufacturers, packagers, labellers, importers and distributors
Key items for comment
Health Canada wants to create a new set of regulations for biocides and place them under a single regulatory framework, the Biocides Regulations. This will:
- ensure the rules for surface sanitizers and disinfectants are the same
- allow us to tailor application and regulatory requirements specifically to these products
- help maintain a safe and effective supply of biocides in Canada
- enable companies to reference decisions from other trusted regulators, starting with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
We also wanted to gather feedback on the proposed guidance document for biocides. The guidance would explain the requirements for industry.
Ideas and inputs were sought around 4 themes/topics:
- the proposed Biocides Regulations
- the related guidance document for biocides
- the incorporated by reference List of foreign regulatory authorities for biocides
- the incorporated by reference Labelling requirements for pressurized containers containing biocides
The input that was gathered through this process will be used to consider changes to the draft regulations and draft guidance.
- Date modified: