CAS Registry Number 110-49-6
What is it?
- 2-Methoxyethanol acetate is an industrial chemical.
How is it used?
- 2-Methoxyethanol acetate is used primarily as a solvent for various industrial applications.
- Based on the most recent data available, 2-methoxyethanol acetate is not manufactured in Canada, but is imported in very small quantities for industrial uses.
Why did the Government of Canada assess it?
- 2-Methoxyethanol acetate was identified as a potential concern for human health based on its classification by an international organization as a substance that may cause harm to the developing fetus and may also impair fertility, and based on what was believed to be a moderate potential for exposure to Canadians.
How are Canadians exposed to it?
- There were no reports on any current uses in consumer products. As a result, exposure of the general population in Canada to 2-methoxyethanol acetate is expected to be very low.
What is the Government of Canada doing?
- The Government of Canada conducted a science-based evaluation of 2-methoxyethanol acetate, called a screening assessment.
- The Government of Canada has determined that 2-methoxyethanol acetate is considered to be harmful to human health.
- Although Canadians' exposure is currently considered to be very low, the Government of Canada is taking action so that exposure remains low.
- Risk management options include the development of a future notification tool so that new uses in Canada do not increase exposure for Canadians.
- The Government of Canada will prevent its use in cosmetics by proposing to add 2-methoxyethanol acetate to the Cosmetic Ingredient "Hotlist".
- The final screening assessment and proposed risk management approach were published on March 7, 2009. The proposed risk management approach will be subject to a 60-day public comment period from March 7 to May 6, 2009.
What should Canadians do?
- Because exposure to 2-methoxyethanol acetate is very low, Canadians do not need to take specific actions to reduce their exposure.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: