Industry guide to futon flammability requirements in Canada - Summary
This guide provides information about the safety requirements that apply under the Mattresses Regulations to futon mattresses ("futons") that are manufactured, imported, advertised or sold in Canada, in particular information regarding:
- Flammability requirements for futons
- Summary of the test method
- How chemical flame retardants, futon materials and construction influence the flammability characteristics of futons
- Informing consumers on fire safety
Information in this guide also applies to mattresses in general.
In addition to the product-specific requirements noted in this guide, it is prohibited to manufacture, import, advertise or sell any consumer product that is a "danger to human health or safety" as defined in the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act (CCPSA) (see paragraphs 7(a) and 8(a) of the Act).
Who this guide is for
- Manufacturers, importers, distributors and retailers of mattresses, particularly futons
- Other interested parties who are affected by the regulations
In this guide
- Test method
- Futon flammability: The impact of chemical flame retardants, materials and construction
- Educating consumers on fire safety
- Appendix A – Information resources
Details and history
Published: December 29, 2016
Updated: February 28, 2019
For further information visit the resources in Appendix A of this guide or contact a Health Canada Consumer Product Safety Office via email (email@example.com) or telephone at 1-866-662-0666 (toll-free within Canada and the United States).
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: