Re-evaluation Note REV2012-16, Re-evaluation Project Plan for Propamocarb
Pest Management Regulatory Agency
12 December 2012
ISSN: 1925-0649 (PDF version)
Catalogue number: H113-5/2012-16E-PDF (PDF version)
In Canada, propamocarb is under re-evaluation by Health Canada's Pest Management Regulatory Agency (PMRA). The PMRA's pesticide re-evaluation program considers potential risks as well as the value of pesticide products to ensure they continue to meet standards of modern science and current policy established to protect human health and the environment. Under the authority of section 16 of the Pest Control Products Act, the registrant of propamocarb was notified of the initiation of the re-evaluation of propamocarb. Following this, the registrant of propamocarb technical grade active ingredient in Canada indicated their intention to support all uses included on the labels of commercial products in Canada. This Re-evaluation Note outlines a project plan and timeline for review, as well as summarizes the anticipated areas of focus related to the re-evaluation of propamocarb.
Propamocarb is a fungicide that has been registered in Canada since 1996. Propamocarb is registered for the control of: Pythium blight and damping-off on turfgrass in golf courses and sod farms; downy mildew on cucurbits and lettuce; late blight on potato and tomato; Pythium root rot and damping-off on greenhouse tomato, cucumber and peppers; and Pythium and Phytophthora root rot on outdoor and greenhouse ornamentals (Use-Site Categories 5, 6, 13, 14, 27 and 30). Registered propamocarb end-use products are formulated as a solution or suspension to be applied by groundboom application, drench application, drip irrigation, or hand held/backpack equipment.
The project plan discussed below outlines the anticipated areas of focus and risk assessments required to complete the re-evaluation of propamocarb. Should additional information become available during the re-evaluation period that affects the regulatory status of propamocarb, the PMRA will reconsider the areas of focus and risk assessments required. Currently, a proposed re-evaluation decision for propamocarb is anticipated to be published for consultation in 2013.
Re-evaluation Project Plan
Human Health Risk Assessment
- A detailed review of propamocarb toxicology was conducted in 2007 and the toxicology database for propamocarb still meets current requirements.
- Occupational, dietary and residential (for example, golfer) exposure assessments previously conducted to support the registered uses will be verified to ensure that they continue to meet the standards of modern science and reflect current policy.
Environmental Risk Assessment
- Environmental label statements will be updated to reflect current standards. Buffer zones for the protection of sensitive terrestrial and aquatic habitats will be calculated based on current practices.
- Propamocarb does not meet Toxic Substances Management Policy (TSMP) Track 1 criteria.
- The value of propamocarb will be considered. The viability of alternatives will be examined if risks of concern are identified.
- No additional data requirements have been identified for propamocarb at this time.
Anticipated Timeline for Re-evaluation
- A proposed re-evaluation decision for propamocarb is anticipated to be published for consultation in 2013.
PMRA documents can be found on our website at www.healthcanada.gc.ca/pmra. PMRA documents are also available through the Pest Management Information Service. Phone: 1-800-267-6315 within Canada or 1-613-736-3799 outside Canada (long distance charges apply); fax: 613-736-3798; e-mail: email@example.com
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: