Notice: Implementation of eCTD for clinical trial regulatory activities
February 19, 2020
Our file number: 20-102724-615
The pilot for Clinical Trial regulatory activities in electronic Common Technical Document (eCTD) format concluded on August 31, 2019. Health Canada is pleased to announce that the pilot was successful. Therefore, implementation of Clinical Trials regulatory activities in eCTD format will begin immediately for the following:
- Pre-Clinical Trial Application Consultation Meeting (PRE-CTA)
- Clinical Trial Applications (CTAs) with either a 7 day administrative or a 30 day default performance standard
- Clinical Trial Applications - Amendments (CTA-As) with a 7 day administrative or a 30 day default performance standard
- Clinical Trial Application - Notification (CTA-N)
- All related responses and post-clearance data to the regulatory activities above
The following regulatory activities and/or transactions are out-of-scope for filing in eCTD format:
- Clinical Trial Site Information (CTSI)
- Development Safety Update Report (DSUR)
- Signal assessment related requests from the Therapeutic Products Directorate/Office of Clinical Trials – Adverse Drug Reaction division (OCT ADR)
- Fax-Backs for the Biologics and Genetic Therapies Directorate
The use of the eCTD format for Clinical Trial regulatory activities is optional. However, once a sponsor files a regulatory activity in eCTD format, all additional information and subsequent regulatory transactions for the same dossier (protocol) must also be filed in eCTD format. Sponsors cannot revert an eCTD dossier back to “non-eCTD electronic-only” format.
Use of common electronic submission gateway
All regulatory transactions in eCTD format (<10 GB) must be sent via the Common Electronic Submissions Gateway (CESG). Please refer to the CESG information page for details.
Related instructions and guidance documents
- Prior to filing a Clinical Trial regulatory transaction in eCTD format, each company must file a sample transaction to Health Canada in accordance with the eCTD guidance document.
- Health Canada recommends a Pre-technical meeting for companies using eCTD for the first time.
- Once Health Canada finds the eCTD sample acceptable, companies can request a Dossier Identifier (e123456) via the Dossier Request Form for Clinical Trials dossiers, available on the Filing Submissions Electronically page.
- Health Canada developed new documents to support companies in filing clinical trial regulatory transactions in eCTD format. Refer to the Health Canada Filing Submissions Electronically page where the following documents will be available:
- Life Cycle Management at the Document Layer for eCTD Clinical Trial Regulatory Activities
- Clinical Trial Applications in eCTD format
- Table of Clinical Trial Regulatory Transaction (sequence) Descriptions
Please direct all questions related to this notice via email to email@example.com.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: