Drugs and Health Products
- Advisories, Warnings and Recalls
- Biologics, Radio-pharmaceuticals and Generic Therapies
- Compliance and Enforcement
- Device Drug Interface
- Drug Products
- Funding and Fees
- International Activities
- MedEffects Canada (adverse reations)
- Medical Devices
- Medical Use of Marijuana
- Natural Health Products
- Progressive Licensing
- Public Involvement and Consultations
- Regulatory Requirements for Advertising
- Special Access to Drugs and Health Products
- Veterinary Drugs
- Legislation and Guidelines
- Reports and Publications
Health Canada plays an active role in ensuring that you have access to safe and effective drugs and health products. The Department strives to maintain a balance between the potential health benefits and risks posed by all drugs and health products. Our highest priority in determining the balance is public safety.
Working together with other levels of government, health care professionals, patient and consumer interest groups, research communities and manufacturers, our department endeavours to minimize the health risk factors to you and maximize the safety provided by the regulatory system for these products.
We also strive to provide you with the information you need to make healthy choices and informed decisions about your health.
Health Canada is not a manufacturer or distributor of drugs and health products. We are the federal regulator. For additional drug information related to treatment options or where drugs or health products are sold, please contact your health professional or the individual company directly.
What is Available?
Health Canada is committed to providing timely access to sound, evidence-based information. We want to ensure that Canadians remain up-to-date on current developments and issues pertaining to drugs and health products in Canada.
- Food and Drugs Act Liaison Office
- Classification of Health Products at the Device-Drug Interface
- Health Products & Food Regulatory Modernization: Health Canada has initiated work to modernize the regulatory system for food and health products. The regulation of these products is an important activity that supports the health and well-being of Canadians.
- Fact sheet on Drug Shortages
- Information about Nanotechnology-Based Health Products and Food.
- Access to Therapeutic Products: The Regulatory Process in Canada. This publication describes how therapeutic products in Canada make their way from the laboratory to the marketplace.
- Find more information about biotechnology-based health products in the Science and Research section of our Web site.
- Chemical Substances Portal
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: