Biometrics screening helps facilitate:
- your visa or permit application process as we can quickly and accurately establish your identity; and
- the entry of travellers with legitimate identities by providing a reliable tool for identity management, both at the time of application and at the time of arrival at the port of entry (POE). This makes subsequent interactions with the traveller more efficient.
Biometric screening makes it easier to:
- identify known criminals before they can attempt to come to Canada; and
- detect those who forge, steal or use another person’s identity to gain access to Canada.
Biometrics is recognized around the world:
- More than 70 countries are using biometrics in immigration and border management.
- Canada’s Migration 5 partners have implemented biometric programs.
- The 26 Schengen states in Europe—and other countries around the world like Japan, South Africa and India—have also implemented biometric programs.
Expanding biometric screening requirements and increasing immigration information sharing with the U.S. and other Migration 5 partners will enable Canada to further participate in international efforts to identify persons who pose a risk to the general public, while making international travel a convenient, predictable and secure process for travellers with genuine identities.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: