Temporary resident visa and electronic travel authorization applications: Fees

This section contains policy, procedures and guidance used by IRCC staff. It is posted on the department’s website as a courtesy to stakeholders.

Fees and exceptions related to temporary resident visas (TRVs) and electronic travel authorizations (eTAs).

On this page

Fees: TRVs

Processing and collection of fee (before February 6, 2014)

  • $75 individual – single entry [R296(1)]
  • $150 individual – multiple entry [previously R297(1)]
  • $400 maximum fee for a family – single or multiple entry [R296(3)] [previously also included R297(2)]

Processing and collection of fee (on or after February 6, 2014)

  • $100 individual – multiple or single entry [R296(1)]
  • $500 maximum fee for a family – single or multiple entry [R296(3)]
  • Fee schedule

Fee exemptions: Refer to the Coding Handbook.

Processing and collection of fee guidelines resulting from the fee changes (effective February 6, 2014)

TRV applicants will be asked to complete the “Application for a Temporary Resident Visa” form [IMM 5257B]. Application kits must include information for the traveller regarding the single- and multiple-entry visa fees and the family rate. The requestor must identify which visa is requested. If an applicant is unable to pay the fee immediately, they should be advised that an application will not be accepted without the appropriate fee.

Maximum fee

For the purposes of determining the maximum fee, subsection 1(3) and section 2 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR) define "family member" and "dependent child" respectively.

Fees: eTAs

The eTA processing fee is CAN $7 [R294.1(1)]. The fee must be paid at the time the application is completed and is required before the application can be submitted. Once the eTA is issued, the applicant will only have to pay this fee again when they need to apply for another eTA, which in most cases will not be before 5 years. There are no eTA fee exemptions.

Issuing a single- or multiple-entry visa

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) continues to promote the issuance of long-term multiple-entry visas to facilitate entry to Canada for legitimate travellers. All applicants who are eligible will benefit and be issued a multiple-entry visa; this includes those applicants who may select a single-entry visa on their application form.

As of February 6, 2014, the issuance of a multiple-entry visa will be considered to be the standard and if an officer issues a single entry visa, the reasons are to be clearly entered in the case notes.

Please note that not all applicants will be eligible for a multiple-entry visa. The issuance of a multiple-entry visa remains at the discretion of the visa officer. A single-entry visa may be issued in cases such as the following:

  • an applicant is eligible for a fee-exemption, and the purpose of entry to Canada is limited (e.g. for an official visit by a foreign national)
  • an applicant is participating in a one-time special event in Canada (e.g. Pan-American Games)
  • country-specific procedures or guidelines are in place and approved by IRCC National Headquarters (NHQ)

Study and work permits

A fee for a TRV will not be collected in cases where an applicant (other than members of a performing artists group) is also applying for either a study permit or a work permit at the same time and place. The fee collected will be for the processing of the study or work permit only.

A foreign national requiring an eTA who is approved for a work or study permit will be issued their eTA at the same time as their work or study permit; they will not be required to pay the CAN $7 processing fee [R294.1(2)].

Note: Foreign nationals from the eTA expansion countries will receive a TRV upon the issuance of their initial study or work permit overseas. When these same clients are issued a renewed study or work permit, they will be issued an eTA.

Performing artists

If the applicant is in a group of performing artists, the TRV fee must be paid in addition to the work permit group fee. (Refer to the procedures in Work permits.)

If the applicant is fee-exempt, the person processing the application will write or stamp on the IMM 5257B application “FEE EXEMPT”, with the reason for the exemption, and will enter this coding in the Computer-Assisted Immigration Processing System (CAIPS).

Diplomatic exemptions

Please refer to the instructions on diplomatic or official TRVs for guidance on the issuance of diplomatic or official TRVs.

Paragraph R296(2)(a) provides a TRV fee exemption for diplomats and similar official representatives. Although the IRPR do not define what a “diplomat, consular officer, representative or official…” of a country is, there are several factors that can act as a guide in assessing such cases.

Diplomats and similar officials who are accredited to Canada by Global Affairs Canada (GAC) do not require visas or other travel documents, and fees are not an issue for them. However, diplomats from visa-required countries who are accredited to countries other than Canada will still require a visa to enter Canada, although they will be fee-exempt. This is true regardless of the country to which they are accredited or the reason for their travel.

Neither the passport held nor the purpose of travel is a reliable guide to the status of the individual seeking an exemption.

Many countries allow diplomats who are not accredited to retain their diplomatic documents and in some cases, diplomatic passports are issued to non-governmental individuals to facilitate their movement.

Officers abroad should be guided by normal Canadian practice in accordance with exemptions to cost recovery regulations. As the receiving country accords diplomatic status or privilege, so the receiving country also determines the courtesies to be extended, irrespective of the passport held. The normal practice would be to consult the list of individuals and officials who, in the Canadian context, would be entitled to a diplomatic or special passport and to accord the appropriate status to analogous individuals or officials, irrespective of the passport held.

Conversely, where a person would, in the Canadian context, be eligible for a diplomatic or official passport, consideration should be given to exempting the person from the cost recovery charges in accordance with paragraph R296(2)(a).

Courtesy visas

As far as fees are concerned, no distinction is made between courtesy visas and other visas. If the applicant applying for the visa does not enjoy a fee exemption, then the fees are charged at the appropriate rate, except for persons listed in subsection R296(2).

Facilitation visas

Canadian citizens abroad are the responsibility of GAC, not IRCC. A Canadian citizen who wishes to travel to Canada should be referred to the consular section if they do not have a Canadian passport. There are, however, exceptional circumstances where IRCC can facilitate the travel of a dual national by placing a facilitation visa counterfoil into the person’s passport issued by the other country where they hold citizenship. Facilitation visas should only be single entry, and fees are charged at the appropriate rate, except for persons listed in subsection R296(2).

Page details

Date modified: