Interim Pathway for Caregivers
This section contains policy, procedures and guidance used by IRCC staff. It is posted on the department’s website as a courtesy to stakeholders.
The Interim Pathway for Caregivers ended on October 8, 2019. IRCC will continue to process complete applications that were received on or before this date. Since October 9, 2019, we have not been accepting applications under the Interim Pathway for Caregivers.
The Interim Pathway for Caregivers is a short-term economic pathway for caregivers who come to Canada, and who may expect to qualify for permanent residence, but who do not qualify under existing caregiver pathways.
To be eligible, caregivers have to meet all the following conditions:
- At the time of application, they are authorized to work in Canada on a work permit other than a Live-in Caregiver Program work permit.
- They intend to reside in a province or territory other than Quebec.
- Since November 30, 2014, they have acquired at least 1 year of full-time Canadian work experience in an eligible caregiver occupation (that is, National Occupational Classification [NOC] 4411 and NOC 4412 for occupations other than housekeeper).
- They meet the minimum education requirement.
- They meet the minimum language proficiency requirement.
- Date modified: