Refugee travel document - Refugees and Protected Persons

Convention refugees and protected persons can use a Refugee Travel Document (RTD), issued by the Passport Canada, in order to exit and re-enter Canada. A protected person who is not a permanent resident and who intends to travel outside Canada must obtain an RTD from the Passport Office before leaving Canada by submitting an Adult Travel Document Application (PPTC 190) or a Child Travel Document Application (PPTC 192).

The application must be accompanied by:

The RTD is valid for travel to all countries except the country of persecution. Travellers must return to Canada prior to the expiry date indicated on the RTD and, at that time, they should have in their possession both the RTD and the protected person status document.

If a traveller is unable to produce a RTD due to the loss or theft of the document while outside Canada, the officer may issue a temporary resident permit in order to allow re-entry into Canada. Prior to issuing a permit, officers should question the applicant regarding the loss or theft of the RTD and be satisfied that the circumstances are genuine.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Privacy statement

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: