Immigration Medical Exam (IME)
This section contains policy, procedures and guidance used by IRCC staff. It is posted on the department’s website as a courtesy to stakeholders.
R29 provides that, for the purposes of paragraph A16(2)(b), a medical examination includes any or all of the following:
- a physical examination;
- a mental examination;
- a review of past medical history;
- laboratory tests;
- diagnostic tests;
- and a medical assessment of records respecting the applicant.
- Permanent resident applicants
- Temporary residents
There are exemptions for the following:
- Exemptions from undergoing an IME
- Exemption from inadmissibility on grounds of excessive demand
Procedures for issuing medical instructions and upfront medical exams.
Panel physicians and in some circumstances non panel physicians (dispensation).
Information may be submitted in the following formats:
- Electronic (eMedical)
- Paper submissions
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: