International Mobility Program: Canadian interests – Significant benefit – Intra-company transferees [R205(a)] (exemption code C12)
This section contains policy, procedures and guidance used by IRCC staff. It is posted on the department’s website as a courtesy to stakeholders.
Important: The LMIA exemption code associated with this work permit category has changed.
Please see Labour market impact assessment (LMIA) exemption codes – International Mobility Program for the correct codes
The intra-company category permits international companies to temporarily transfer qualified employees to Canada for the purpose of improving management effectiveness, expanding Canadian exports, and enhancing competitiveness in overseas markets.
The entry of intra-company transferees is guided by the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations and the general provisions of this section, and is supplemented by provisions contained in international trade agreements for citizens of signatory countries.
- Qualified intra-company transferees require work permits and are exempted from the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) under paragraph R205(a) (exemption code C12) as they provide significant economic benefit to Canada through the transfer of their expertise to Canadian businesses. This applies to foreign nationals from any country, including under the General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS).
- Paragraph R204(a) provides for LMIA exemption code T24 for qualified intra-company transferees who are citizens of a country that has signed a free trade agreement (FTA) with Canada, namely NAFTA (and similar FTAs), and supplements the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act general provisions.
- General requirements
- Qualifying relationship between the Canadian and foreign employer
- Qualifying relationship between the employer and the foreign worker
- Qualifying job positions
- Intra-company transferees under international agreements
- Employer name changes and corporate restructurings
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: