Agreement on Trade Continuity between Canada and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (CUKTCA) [R204(a)] – International Mobility Program
Important: The LMIA exemption code associated with this work permit category has changed.
Please see Labour market impact assessment (LMIA) exemption codes – International Mobility Program for the correct codes
The Agreement on Trade Continuity between Canada and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (CUKTCA) came into effect on April 1, 2021. CUKTCA is modelled on the Canada–European Union Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA).
As detailed below, the same Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) exemption codes used for CETA will be extended for use for those working under CUKTCA to capture data about foreign nationals coming to Canada for work and business purposes. Applicants may be processed at the port of entry, or, should they meet the conditions set out in section 199 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR), they may apply from within Canada or at Canadian missions abroad.
The only difference in processing between CUKTCA and CETA is that a new special program code must be used.
Other than a different special program code, officers should use the instructions provided in the CETA pages to process applicants under CUKTCA as well. These pages are linked below:
- Business visitors (work permit exempt under R186(a)/R187)
- Investors R204(a) (work permit required/LMIA exemption code T46)
- Contractual service suppliers and independent professionals (work permit required/LMIA exemption codes T47 and T43)
- Intra-corporate (company) transferees (work permit required/LMIA exemption code T44) and spouses (open work permit/LMIA exemption code T45)
- Engineering technologists and scientific technologists (work permit required/LMIA exemption code T48)
- Extending work permits
Important: Under the Application screen, officers should enter the following information in the specified field:
|Special Program Code:
- Date modified: