Temporary Resident Permits (TRPs): Subsequent permits

This section contains policy, procedures and guidance used by IRCC staff. It is posted on the department’s website as a courtesy to stakeholders.

Temporary resident permit (TRP) holders who are in Canada may remain longer by obtaining a subsequent TRP. They may submit the form Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Visitor or Temporary Resident Permit Holder [IMM 5708] (PDF, 578 KB). There are no extensions of existing TRPs. TRP holders do not benefit from maintained status.

On this page

If the person is also a study or work permit holder, they may seek the subsequent TRP directly with the respective in-Canada forms (Application to Change Conditions, Extend My Stay or Remain in Canada as a Student form [IMM 5709] (PDF, 589 KB) and Application to Change Conditions, Extend My Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker form [IMM 5710] (PDF, 583 KB)). Applications for subsequent TRPs are sent to the Case Processing Centre in Edmonton (CPC-E). A small number of TRP applications are referred to local offices for clarification. If a client’s application is referred to a local office, they will be contacted by the local office to obtain additional information or clarification.

Extension of temporary resident status cannot be given to permit holders at a migration office outside Canada. If the TRP permits re-entry to Canada, and the person wants to enter Canada after the expiry date, they must apply for a new TRP at the appropriate migration office.

Note: The issuance of a new TRP, rather than a subsequent TRP, may indicate a break in continuity, which may affect eligibility for:

  • permanent residence under the permit holder class;
  • provincial health coverage.

Before approving a new TRP

Before approving a new TRP, the officer may contact the office or offices where any previous TRP has been issued to gather additional information that may not be available in the immigration systems, and the officer may consider:

  • issuing a short validity period to allow for monitoring and regular reviews of the circumstances; if there has been no negative change to the need for the client to be in Canada or to the applicable risk factors, reviews can be less thorough or frequent;
  • processing applications for subsequent TRPs at Domestic Network (DN) offices, where exceptional circumstances exist (such as in the case of victims of human trafficking).

When a subsequent TRP may be issued

A subsequent TRP may be issued when all of the following apply:

  • The client applied before expiry of the previous TRP.
  • The designated authority (PDF, 831 KB) has decided that the need for the client to be in Canada and applicable risk factors justify the client remaining in Canada, and the reason for inadmissibility has not changed (if it has, see When to issue a new TRP instead of a subsequent TRP).
  • There are no new circumstances or inadmissibilities that would justify a refusal.
  • The TRP has not been deemed cancelled by departure from Canada (a permit is deemed cancelled if the holder leaves Canada, unless the document specifies otherwise).
  • The client has complied with any previous conditions imposed (for example, reported for medical examination, confirmed departure).
  • The general factors for TRPs have been considered.

A subsequent TRP may be issued after the expiry of the previous TRP without a break in continuity if the client applied before the expiry of the TRP (following similar principles of maintained status in that the client shouldn’t suffer a break in status due to processing times).

Important: In this situation, officers should note “No break in continuity” in the User remarks.

When not to issue subsequent permits

Permit holders outside Canada

Subsequent TRPs must not be issued to TRP holders who are residing outside Canada.

If, after review of the case, officers at a DN office or at the CPC-E believe a TRP holder is outside Canada, they should schedule the client for an interview to determine if they are, in fact, in Canada.

When to issue a new TRP instead of a subsequent TRP

If review of risk factors and the need for the client to be in Canada determine that issuance of a TRP is warranted, an officer should issue a new TRP in the following circumstances:

  • The client applied for a subsequent TRP after the expiry of the previous document.
  • The client is inadmissible for a new reason.
  • The client left Canada and is returning to Canada, and re-entry has not been previously authorized.
  • There are prolonged periods of absence from Canada that amount to a break in continuity of residence.

How to issue a new TRP

If the officer decides to approve a new TRP, they must

  • issue a new TRP if the client meets the requirements
  • record a break in continuity of residence in Canada in GCMS
  • record the previous TRP number in the appropriate field in GCMS or add the following to the “Remarks” section: “Has previously been in Canada on TRP #xxx”
  • explain the consequences of a break in continuity to the client in a covering letter
  • remind the client of the importance of applying for a subsequent TRP in time

Page details

Date modified: