Place of application for a Temporary Resident Visa, Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), Study Permit, Work Permit

This section contains policy, procedures and guidance used by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada staff. It is posted on the Department’s website as a courtesy to stakeholders.

R11 specifies where applicants should submit their applications for permanent or temporary resident visas. The intent of R11 is to direct applications to the processing office best informed to assess them thereby improving program integrity and security.

Applicants are required to submit their application for a temporary resident visa, study permit or work permit to the visa office that is responsible for serving:

  • the country in which the applicant has been lawfully admitted; or
  • the applicant's country of nationality, or, if the applicant is stateless, their country of habitual residence.

List of countries and corresponding visa offices.

Applying online

Applicants worldwide have the option to submit an application for a Temporary Resident Visa, Study Permit, or Work Permit using the Come to Canada Wizard and the MyCIC portal.

The Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) application is available online only. Applicants can apply using the eTA application form or through the Come to Canada Wizard.

Learn more about online applications.

Applying at a Visa office

Visa offices in the U.S.A. have responsibility for applicants who have lawfully been admitted to the U.S.A. or Canada.

R11(2) continues to be very flexible. For example, the business person from India spending a day or two in the U.K. will be able to apply for a temporary resident visa in London, as long as they were lawfully admitted to the U.K. Similarly, a Chinese student currently studying in Singapore will be able to apply for a study permit at the visa office there. However, it will not permit a Brazilian national who is physically in Brazil to make a temporary work permit application by mail to the visa office in New York City.

R11(2) does not apply to the collection of biometric information.

Applying In-Canada

Foreign nationals who are in Canada and have a valid study or work permit must apply for a temporary resident visa counterfoil through the Case Processing Centre.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Privacy statement

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: